six bells peal
Retuning of bells 5th april 1973
18 May 1973
10 February 1950
12 July 1963
25 July 1958
22 September 1950
Originally the work of restoring Woolsery parish church's six bell peal was estimated to cost around £3,000, but after a further examination, now the bells have been taken down, it is considered that all of them, instead of just two, will have to be re-cast.
The bells are to be re-cast by Messrs Taylor, of Loughborough, who cast them 148 years ago when the firm had a branch at nearby Buckland Brewer.
Bridegroom was Mr David Leonard Blight, son of Mr & Mrs L P Blight of Tower Hill, Buckland Brewer and his bride Miss Joan Elizabeth Brown, daughter of Mr & Mrs T H Brown, of Cleverdons, Buckland Brewer.
Bride's attendants were her sister, Mrs Brenda Mills and cousin Miss Jayne Wright. Best man was Mr Alan Wright.
Winkleigh Parish Church bells are to be re-tuned. Here Mr Arthur Fidler (right), of Bow, and his assistant, who lowered the eight bells from the tower, are seen prepared two of the largest bells for dispatch to the foundry at Loughborough.
A member of Clovelly church council, Mr Johns was also deputy warden. He was captain of Clovelly bellringers, of which both his sons are members, and a former member of Clovelly Parish Council.
The Rector, Rev R O H Eppingstone, officiated at the service assisted by the Rev L Buttle, Miss U Moore was organist.
Captains of the local towers rang a muffled peal on the church bells.
Immediate mourners attending were: the widow, Royston and
The bridegroom’s grandfather, father and two uncles and the bride’s brother were among those who rang the bells as the wedding at St Nectan’s Church, Welcombe, of Mr Ernest Claud Nicholls, of Shutta Farm, Littleham, to Miss Joyce Mary Sanders, daughter of Mr and Mrs Sanders, Linton Farm, Welcombe.
The bridegroom is chairman of the Buckland Brewer Young Farmers’ Club and the bride one of the organists of Welcombe Church and a bell-ringer.
The bridesmaid was Miss Edith Joyce Gifford and Mr Arthur Bisset was best man.
The bouquets were afterwards
Twelve teams competed, including newcomers Littleham and Welcombe.
The judges, Messrs A Burrow and W Tuck, were closeted in the church schoolroom.
Principle placings were: Shield and first certificate, Alwington B; Northam; Appledore; Alwington A; Hartland; Monkleigh.
Other teams competing in order of scores were Bideford, Clovelly, Littleham, Weare Giffard, Buckland Brewer and Welcombe.
About 70 sat down to tea provided by the Social Committee of the
Judges were Mr A Nicholls (Littleham), Mr S Nicholls (Abbotsham) and Mr W Tuck (Bideford).
A short service in the Church, conducted by the Rector, the Rev Dr G S Spinks, afforded an opportunity of corporate worship by the ringers and friends.
The Deanery Shield and certificates were presented to the winners by the Hon. Mrs Asquith, of Clovelly Court.
In proposing a vote of thanks to all who had helped to make the occasion a success, Mr
Ten teams of the Association entered the contest. The judges were Messrs C R Bissett, S Nicholls and F Bailey.
The results were: 1, Chawleigh; 2, St Giles; 3, Down St Mary; 4, Frithelstock; 5, High Bickington; 6, Sheepwash; 7, Alwington; 8, Petrockstowe; 9, Northam; 10, Parkham.
Certificates which were presented to the five winning teams by Mrs M H Hill were the gifts of Mr G Nicholls.
Gazette article dated 22…