This is a new Topic and will have articles relating very soon
3 March 1950
6 October 1950
15 April 1977
10 February 1950
24 February 1950
Besides two presentations in Bideford, the play has been given at Torrington, Hartland and Westward Ho! and enthusiastically received in each place.
Next week the Society will break new ground and present a programme of one-act plays in conjunction with the Barnstaple Dramatic and Operatic Society. This follows an invitation by the Barnstaple Society to participate in a joint programme which was given at
Will be given at Bridge Street Methodist Church
Wednesday October 11th 1950
Chair to be taken by Councillor A K Chope (Deputy Mayor)
Jan Van Der Gught, BBC Tenor
Ruth Davey Contralto (Torquay)
Supported by The full Methodist Circuit Choir
Conductor: Mr W R Blackmore
Solo Organ: Gordon Richards
Programmes 2/6 each. Collection.
Programmes obtainable at Messrs Chopes, Nicklins and Hannaford, East-the-Water PO
Proceeds in aid of circuit funds
The venue was the Port Quarter at Appledore where the chairman of the local committee, Mr Gordon Dell, thanked Mr Rupert Hill who arranged the visit. Mlle Lydie Coupard, who was paying her third visit, sang songs in English and French and music was provided by Terry Triggs and Larry Bignell.
The new Mayor of Mondeville and his wife were unable to make the visit
The concert was in aid of the Bideford Music Club who, owing to the expense of the Oriana Madrigal Society’s visit, had been slightly down financially on the concert.
Unfortunately the inclement weather kept many away and there was only a small audience. Soloists in the choral sections were Mrs Tyreman and Mrs Green.
The pupils of Miss Mills who took part were Miss Gladys Prouse, Miss Christine Stephens and Mr Henry Thorne.
The reputation of Leon Goossens is too well known to need any comment, and the full hall showed that his visit was much appreciated. His accompanist this time was Mabel Lovering, who also contributed a group of piano solos.
The next concert on March 19th will be something of a novelty for Bideford. It is a horn and clarinet quintet.
The full Gazette article is dated 24 February 1950