3 March 1950
3 March 1950
19 February 1954
30 March 1972
11 March 1955
2 April 1971
19 April 1973
3 March 1950
10 February 1950
The chairman of the branch, Lieut-Col J C Basset, presided and was accompanied by the president, Capt S Bell, other officers of the branch and guests from Bideford.
After the loyal toast had been proposed by the chairman, Mr W E Powell, vice chairman and hon secretary of the branch, proposed ‘The Legion’. Quoting the phrase ‘Live remembering us’ Mr
The supper had been provided by Mrs Kivell assisted by Mrs V Lesslie, Mrs R White and Miss Griffiths. Mr and Mrs T Screech gave general assistance.
The Vicar, Rev H C A S Muller, presided and thanked Mrs Helen Muller, Mrs Skipwith and Mrs Ramsay for their great interest in a practical way in the Mothers’ Meeting, and those responsible for the arrangements that evening. He also welcomed the guests.
After supper there was community
They stopped at Exeter for lunch and then proceeded to Taunton where they spent the afternoon shopping. In the evening they went to the show.
Thanks are due to Mrs Gist and Mrs Pridham for arranging the trip so well, and to the driver of the bus. Owing to the weather conditions, the roads
Winners were: Mrs S Dwight; Mrs P Priest; Mrs E Lang; Mrs E Ford; Mrs S Pickard.
Visiting speaker was Mr Mounce who showed coloured slides of crests and of familiar places in the Bideford area, which members were invited to name.
Mrs E Rowe thanked Mr Mounce for an enjoyable evening.
Draw winners were Mesdames P Dunn, Smart, Heywood and M George, and Mrs Heywood won the penny bag competition.
Tea hostesses were Mesdames H George and M Pickard.
The Gazette article
Over 100 enthusiastic members of youth organisations in the town saw the Boy Scouts ‘A’ beat the Girl Guides by three points.
Boy Scouts: William Denne, Derek May, David Hoare, Philip Lucas, Bernard Merrick, Michael Wadey.
Girl Guides: Sandra Hitchcock, Janet Vallance, Margaret Rendle, Christine Davis, Evelyn Trick, Alice Davis.
In an even more exciting match the girls and boys of High Street Methodist Youth Club beat the Boy Scouts ‘B’.
This is the second treat – with wine – that they have provided for older people. The secretary of the branch, Mrs F M Rendall, presented flowers to Mrs Warren and Mrs Spencer thanked them and the staff who gave their services.
The chairman, Mrs Jim Jenkins, presided and the Rector (Rev T Derwent Davies) said grace.
The meal was followed by an excellent entertainment by the Edwardians concert party, with Terry
The president, Mrs Vanstone, planted a silver birch on the grass verge by the signpost in the village and in the churchyard, the Vicar, Rev R A Ford, accepted from her a blue cedar that she planted with the aid of Major Giles Lomas, churchwarden.
Later Mrs Worthington, Mrs Shekleton and Mrs Courtney, committee members, each planted a larch beside the lay-by near Rickards Down.
Operations were watched by a number of people.
The Vicar thanked the Institute on behalf of the Parish Council.
Door stewards were Messrs R Chapple and J Phillips. Mr A C C Moore gave a bottle of sherry for a competition, which was organised by Messrs H S Thomas and J Phillips. Mr W Perkins was the winner.
Miss G Prance and Mr H Allin assisted with the arrangements and refreshments were served by Mesdames Blythe, Cardew, Law and Raffe.
Gazette article dated 3 March 1950
It was held at Bridge Street Methodist Assembly rooms on the evening of January 27th and was organised by Mrs Cox and Mrs Pridham with the help of an ad hoc committee.
Red, white and green, the colours of the Guild, formed the theme of the decorations of the hall and were also embodied on the birthday cake which had been iced by Mrs Cade. Mrs H W Fulford, president of the Guild, cut the cake and spoke of the