ShippingA Selection of News Articles Related to Shipping

  • 1 Appledore Shipyard Training School

    Good news mentioned in the Gazette in 1968! Appledore Shipyard is to establish a training school for apprentices.

  • 2 The Kathleen and May - 1978

    Exeter Maritime Museum have offered to give a home to the Kathleen and May, the 77-year-old schooner with strong

  • 3 The Golden Hind - 1972

    Assembly of the framework of the replica of Drake's Golden Hind, being bult at the yard of J Hinks and Son, Appledore

  • 4 Fiftieth Ship for Appledore Shipyard - 1978

    There was a distinct Scottish flavour about the naming this week of the 50th ship to be built by Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd.

  • 5 Landing craft becomes mission ship

    converted from landing craft to mission ship

  • 6 Farewell to the Hispaniola

    Sails being bent in readiness for last weekends tow to Scarborough

  • 7 Corvette becomes fishing and depot ship

    the ex "flower" class corvette anchusia, now being converted at Appledore

  • 8 Pirate spirit goes down the hatch

    Hispaniola on her last voyage from Appledore to Scarborough

  • 9 Torridge wins on time schedule

    Picture of Richmond Dock of Messrs PK Harris & Sons Ltd

  • 10 What are they talking about

    Representative well known North Country firm and Mr Percy Harris

  • 11 Appledore tug launched on time

    Messrs P K Harris (shipbuilders) Ltd

  • 12 Glass hull vessel leaves Appledore

    54ft vessel en route for Aden

  • 13 Over 30 men lose shipyard jobs and more may follow

    30 hand laid off by P K Harris & Sons Ltd

  • 14 P K Harris shipyard closure hits nearly 500 jobs

    Shipyard in receivers hands

  • 15 Appledore's largest launching yet

    Sand Dart built by P K Harris & Sons

  • 16 Bideford's private wharves busier

    Messrs I Baker & Sons Ltd

  • 17 Shiver my timbers - Sedwell Jane

    Broadley built by M W Blackmore

  • 18 First sand dredger to have radar fitted

    Mr Stan Woolaway and Mr A Hutchings

  • 19 From Torridge-side to the Pool of London

    "Jaycee" tug built by P K Harris & Sons Ltd

  • 20 Bideford loses training ship revenge

    Sea cadets lose their headquarters

  • 21 Shipyard can take 100more craftsmen

    Labour force is biggest in firm's history

  • 22 Sailing through traffic to big exhibition

    Lundy Gull built at Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

  • 23 Shipyard to run training school

    Appledore Shipbuilders buys shelter

  • 24 Esso tankers to be built by Appledore Shipyard

    Esso Petroleum Company

  • 25 Appledore builds tug for Persian Gulf State

    Taking shape in the Richmond dry dock at Appledore ship building yard of Messrs P K Harris & Sons

  • 26 Two sets of twins at Appledore shipyard

    Messrs Schiller and Powe

  • 27 Korean visit to Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

    Deputy Prime Minister of Korea

  • 28 expanding shipyard

    Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

  • 29 C711 stranded

    30 October 1970

  • 30 Council await report

    2 April 1971

  • 31 Tanker called Bideford

    1959 article

  • 32 Tankerman, tanker built on Torridgeside

    Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

  • 33 launching of the 'Jane Hannah Macdonald 31.05.1938

    Lifeboat launch 31.05.1938

  • 34 Clovelly's lifeboat day prompts memories 14.07.1950

    new boat from builders 14.07.1950

  • 35 Lifeboat crew are given awards at supper party 19th July 1963

    Appledore lifeboat 19th July 1963

  • 36 Appledore's new lifeboat arrives home 23rd November 1962

    Louisa Anne Hawker 23rd November 1962

  • 37 Lifeboat christening 22 June 1962

    Councils dismay on christening 22 June1962

  • 38 First rescue 1st June 1979

    Shell Mex and BP Ltd

  • 39 Lifeboat station at Clovelly to close 28th July 1967

    RNLI to close lifeboat station 28.07.1967

  • 40 Lifeboatmen are to seek salvage 22nd December 1967

    Woodlark aground off Morte Point 22nd December 1967

  • 41 Clovelly protests again about removal of shore lifeboat 29.03.1968

    100 years ends in the history lifeboat service at Clovelly 29.03.1968

  • 42 New pattern for cover by lifeboat? 17th September 1965

    cruising lifeboat Bristol area 17.09.1965

  • 43 Clovelly's 100 years as lifeboat station 24th July 1970

    Centenary of lifeboat station 24th July 1970

  • 44 Crew of Appledore's inshore rescue boat 21.10.1977

    Wildenwrath Whizzer RNLI boat 21.10.1977

  • 45 Younger members not coming forward 19.11.1954

    Appledore lifeboat branch meeting 19.11.1954

  • 46 Two by two

    17 August 1951

  • 47 Busiest year in the long history of Appledore lifeboat 05.10.1973

    Photo of Appledore crew 05.10.1973

  • 48 Appledore's new lifeboat 19th April 1962

    Lifeboat engine trials 19th April 1962

  • 49 First tankers arrive at new depot

    Shell Mex and BP Ltd

  • Appledore Shipyard Training School

    Good news mentioned in the Gazette in 1968! Appledore Shipyard is to establish a training school for apprentices.

    Appledore Shipyard Training School - February 1968

    Appledore Shipyard Training School
     

    Good news mentioned in the Gazette in 1968! Appledore Shipyard is to establish a training school for apprentices.

     
    Read More
  • The Kathleen and May - 1978

    Exeter Maritime Museum have offered to give a home to the Kathleen and May, the 77-year-old schooner with strong

    The Kathleen and May - 13th January 1978

     

    Exeter Maritime Museum have offered to give a home to the Kathleen and May, the 77-year-old schooner with strong Appledore associations which the Maritime Trust are considering moving from Plymouth to London.
    The Trust say the viewing fees from the public visiting the schoome at Sutton do not cover maintenance costs and they think a move to London could remedy this situation. The Exeter Museum think she should stay in the area.
    The Kathleen and May, built at Connah's Quay in North Wales, was at one time a familiar part of the

    Read More
  • The Golden Hind - 1972

    Assembly of the framework of the replica of Drake's Golden Hind, being bult at the yard of J Hinks and Son, Appledore

    The Golden Hind - 18th February 1972

     

    Replica of Golden Hind to be Built in Appledore

    Assembly of the framework of the replica of Drake's Golden Hind, being bult at the yard of J Hinks and Son, Appledore.
    The replica has been ordered by an American firm and the work of the building will take until next spring.
    Meanwhile, on the Isle of Wight, 58-year-old Mr Jack Whitehead is working on a hind figurehead for the vessel. He was also responsible for the carvings on the replica of the Nonsuch for the Hudson's Bay Company, which was built at Hink's

    Read More
  • Fiftieth Ship for Appledore Shipyard - 1978

    There was a distinct Scottish flavour about the naming this week of the 50th ship to be built by Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd.

    Fiftieth Ship for Appledore Shipyard - 1978

     

    There was a distinct Scottish flavour about the naming this week of the 50th ship to be built by Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd. The new ship was named City of Perth and she was named by Mrs Angela Weir, wife of Mr Donald Weir an Ellerman City Liners' managing director.
    The first ship built under cover at Appledore was the Pen Stour. In the eight-and-a-half years since then, there have been more dredgers as well as tankers, supply vessels, container ships, bulk carriers and of course, the passenger-cargo ship Scillonian which was named by

    Read More
  • Landing craft becomes mission ship

    converted from landing craft to mission ship

    Landing craft becomes missions ship 5th April 1949

    landing craft becomes missions ship Converted from a landing craft (guns) to a mission ship, the "Sir Edward P Willis II" lying at the yard of Messrs P K Harris and Sons, Appledore, will, it is expected, be ready for sea in the very near future.  Her reconstruction, which has been spread over two years, has been delayed by various shortages of materials, but this is now being overcome.

    Picture shows Captain Lord Headley and Skipper H J Goldspink.  The late Mrs Manning wife of the former well-known Rector of Bideford (Preb. W N Manning) was a

    Read More
  • Farewell to the Hispaniola

    Sails being bent in readiness for last weekends tow to Scarborough

    Farewell to the 'Hispaniola' 2nd June 1950

    farewell to the HispaniolaJauntily flying the skull and cross-bones at her stern, the ship, Hispaniola, which last summer was used in making the film "Treasure Island," left Appledore in tow for Scarborough where she is to become part of that Corporation's maritime display.  Lieut-Com S Gorrell is in charge of the Hispaniola.  Volunteer extra hand, who travelled all Friday night to get to Appledore, was Wing-Commander Cyril Johnson, of Birmingham.

    Read More
  • Corvette becomes fishing and depot ship

    the ex "flower" class corvette anchusia, now being converted at Appledore

    Corvette becomes fishing and depot ship 5th April 1949

    Corvette becomes fishing and depot ship

    Described by Messrs P K Harris and Sons as the biggest conversion job they have done, the ex "Flower" class corvette Anchusia, now being converted at Appledore into a fishing and depot ship renamed Silver Lord, is nearing completion.  Wheel-house of the ship and the bridge deck are built of teak taken from HMS Warspite when she was broken up.  Alongside the Silver Lord is another former corvette, now named Silver King.  Work on this vessel has not yet commenced.

    Read More
  • Pirate spirit goes down the hatch

    Hispaniola on her last voyage from Appledore to Scarborough

    'Pirate spirit' goes 'down the hatch' 16th June 1950

    Pirate spirit goes down the hatch Pirates were taking the Treasure Island film ship Hispaniola on her last voyage from Appledore to Scarborough where the ship will become part of the town's maritime display.  The Hispaniola was commended by Lieut Commander S Gorrell and manned by 2 Appledore seamen, Messrs E Bignell and Kelly Eastman, and a number of amateur sailors, Messrs W Glover, S Sanders, T R Davies and Wing Commander Johnson.

    At Scarborough Mrs Pat Pulleyn, wife of the Chairman of Scarborough Harbour Committee, was first on board.  A mayoral reception was accorded the crew

    Read More
  • Torridge wins on time schedule

    Picture of Richmond Dock of Messrs PK Harris & Sons Ltd

    Torridge wins on time schedule! 30th September 1955

    Torridge wins on time schedule Picture of Richmond Dock of Messrs P K Harris & Sons Ltd, the old established Appledore firm, shows three tugs in course of fitting out or construction.

    In the background is the Alnwick, 4th of six vessels being delivered to Messrs France, Fenwick, Tyne & Wear Ltd, of Newcastle.  The smaller hull on the left is of a tug ordered by the Iraq Petroleum Company.

    The Bamburgh is expected to be christened just before Christmas and the Mersden in the New Year.

    Read More
  • What are they talking about

    Representative well known North Country firm and Mr Percy Harris

    "What are they talking about?" 7th October 1955

    What are they talking aboutPhotograph shows a representative of a well-known North Country firm (on the left) and the well-known Appledore ship-builder and repairer, Mr Percy Harris (Chairman of P K Harris Shipbuilders Ltd) on the right.

    Read More
  • Appledore tug launched on time

    Messrs P K Harris (shipbuilders) Ltd

    Appledore tug launched on time! 4th November 1955

    appledore tug launched on time The above tug was successfully launched amid cheers of Appledore shipyard employees who have worked at concert pitch to ensure "being on time" as tide was the last suitable daylight tide before 1956.

    Picture shows Mr C H Gibson, the mechanical engineer for a large North-country tug-owning firm, consulting with Mr J Venus, Managing director of Messrs P K Harris (Shipbuilders) Ltd of Appledore, the builders of the new craft.

    The christening ceremony was performed by Mrs Gibson.  Design by Messrs Burness, Kendall and Partners.

    Read More
  • Glass hull vessel leaves Appledore

    54ft vessel en route for Aden

    Glass-hull vessel leave Appledore 14th January 1956

    Glass hull vessel leaves Appledore54 foot glass fabricated vessel, which was launched into the Torridge by crane, after arrival by road from Southampton, in June last, left Appledore last week after being fitted out at the Newquay Dock of Messrs P K Harris and Sons.  She is destined for Aden.

    Read More
  • Over 30 men lose shipyard jobs and more may follow

    30 hand laid off by P K Harris & Sons Ltd

    Over 30 men lose shipyard jobs and more may follow 1st January 1960

    Over 30 men lose shipyard jobs and more may followMore than 30 hands were laid off by P K Harris & Sons Ltd, the Appledore shipbuilders.  Mr Gordon Harris, a principal of the firm stated there are bound to be some more.  Reason for dismissals is that last year the firm produced 15 or 16 ships many of them in record time, "but at the great expense of Sunday work and overtime."

    Read More
  • P K Harris shipyard closure hits nearly 500 jobs

    Shipyard in receivers hands

    Shipyard closure hits nearly 500 jobs  8th March 1963

     

    Shipyard closure hits nearly 500 jobs After the first stunning blow caused by the closure, literally at a moment's notice on Friday, of the Appledore shipyards of P K Harris & Sons Ltd, there has been much activity aimed at getting them reopened.

    Mr J E Williams, who has been appointed by Lloyds Bank as Receiver, at the request of the directors, is examining the position.  Throughout Mr Percy Browne, MP who is convalescing at his London home, has been in close touch with the problem, as have other local leaders.

    P K Harris & Sons

    Read More
  • Appledore's largest launching yet

    Sand Dart built by P K Harris & Sons

    Appledore's Largest Launching Yet 31st May 1957

    Appledores largest launching yet Most up-to-date of her kind in the UK, the largest ship ever to be built at the shipyards of Messrs P K Harris & Sons at Appledore was floated out of the dry-dock in which she was built, to the accompaniment of ships' sirfens and worken's cheers. 

    The vessel was christened 'Sand Dart' by Mrs V G W Batt, wife of the managing director of the Southampton firm.  Before the naming ceremony a bouquet was presented to Mrs Batt by Mrs Veree Kidd, daughter of the Richmond yard charge-hand Mr Jack Eastman.

    Read More
  • Bideford's private wharves busier

    Messrs I Baker & Sons Ltd

    Bideford's private wharves busier 29th March 1956

    bidefords private wharves busierBideford's private wharves were at their busiest since the war when the above picture was taken.  The latest to be deepened for coastal vessels is that of Messrs I Baker and Sons Ltd, in the foreground, where m.v. "Celebrity" is discharging cement.  At the Devon Trading Co Ltd, in background, the m.v. "Stan Woolaway is discharging gravel.

    Read More
  • Shiver my timbers - Sedwell Jane

    Broadley built by M W Blackmore

    "Shiver my Timbers - What Next?" 20th November 1953

    shiver my timbers For 90 years, the three masted schooner 'Sedwell Jane' has held the honour of having been the largest and longest vessel ever launched above Bideford  Bridge. 

    Messrs M W Blackmore and Sons, Bideford will be launching the largest vessel so far from their yard.  An inshore minesweeper to be known as HMS Broadley, whe will be named by Mrs Durnford-Slater, wife of Rear-Admiral L F Durnford-Slater, of "Landfall" Instow, who is Deputy Controller of the Navy.

    The Sedwell Jane was built at Sea Locks, at the terminus of the old Rolle Canal

    Read More
  • First sand dredger to have radar fitted

    Mr Stan Woolaway and Mr A Hutchings

    First sand dredger to have radar fitted? 29th June 1956

    first sand dredger to have radar fitted Bideford Gazette photographer catches Mr Stan Woolaway up the ladder supervising the installation of new radar and echo-sounding devices he is having installed on his sand dredger, named after him, and familiar to Torridge-side.

    Mr A E Hutchings, of the Bideford marine electrical engineering firm, is responsible for the radar installation.

    Mr S Woolaway, apart from his sand dredger business, is also principal of the family firm of Messrs W Woolaway & Sons Ltd, public works contractors, Barnstaple and of the Barnstaple Brick and Tile Co Ltd, which has headquarters

    Read More
  • From Torridge-side to the Pool of London

    "Jaycee" tug built by P K Harris & Sons Ltd

    From Torridge-side to the Pool of London 16th July 1954

    From Torridge side to the Pool of London "Jaycee" is a striking tribute to the Torridge-side shipwrights who built her.

    She was launched from Appledore yards of P K Harris & Sons Ltd where she had been built to the hydroconic design of Dr E C B Corlett, Director of the London shipbuilding consultants, Burness, Kendall and Partners Ltd.

    "Jaycee" has a length of 62ft, a beam of 16ft, is diesel powered and carries a crew of four including the master.

    Read More
  • Bideford loses training ship revenge

    Sea cadets lose their headquarters

    Bideford loses training ship "Revenge" 30th September 1957

    bideford loses training ship revenge One of the most interesting sights along Bideford riverside during the past 9 years has been that of the Admiralty's M.T.B. Revenege, which has served as headquarters for the Bideford unit of the Sea Cadet Corps.

    Bideford Sea Cadets, under Lieut-Commander T N Rowe, have looked after her well, but have been unable to prevent the deterioration of her hull below the water line, and the steady out-flow of the town's sewer, has all added to the decay of her timbers.

    Speaking at the meeting of the Borough Council, the Mayor Mr

    Read More
  • Shipyard can take 100more craftsmen

    Labour force is biggest in firm's history

    Shipyard can take 100 more craftsmen 7th October 1966

    shipyard can take 100 more craftsmen Managing Director of Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd (Mr J Venus) stated that the firm are to build three coastal tankers.

    The vessels for Shell Mex and BP Ltd are single screw steel motor tankers of 810 tons dead weight, with a length of 171ft 3in and a width of 34ft.  The new vessels are "getting towards the limit fo what the yards are able to do" said Mr Venus.

    The firm is now owned by Court Line Ltd, were appreciative of the work of all their employees for it had enable them

    Read More
  • Sailing through traffic to big exhibition

    Lundy Gull built at Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

    Sailing through traffic to big exhibition 9th June 1967

     

    sailing through traffic to big exhibition The 30 ton motor fishing vessel "Lundy Gull" pictured at Isleworth (Middlesex) near the end of its three day journey by sea, river and road from Appledore, for display at the World Fishing Exhibition, which opened at Olympia on June 1st.  The biggest craft on show, "Lundy Gull" was built at the shipyards of Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd a member of the Court Line Group.

    sailing through traffic to big exhibition 1 Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd have already received inquiries from the governments of Trinidad, Guyana, Nigeria and the Solomon Islands about their new Lundy Class vessels.  Mr Jim

    Read More
  • Shipyard to run training school

    Appledore Shipbuilders buys shelter

    Shipyard to run training school 2nd February 1968

    shipyard to run training schoolThe shipyard seems to make all the good Appledore news.

    The establishment of a training school for apprentices.  Northam Urban Council are to reconstruct the bus shelter, which is just around the corner in Marine Parade.

    Appledore Shipbuilders were ready to buy the shelter and incorporate it in their scheme.  The Surveyor (Mr Clive Barber) told the Council that because of vandalism he had investigated the possibility of making it shallower.

    Read More
  • Esso tankers to be built by Appledore Shipyard

    Esso Petroleum Company

    Esso tankers to be built by Appledore shipyard

    Esso tankers to be built by Appledore shipyardAn order for 3 coastal tankers worth a total of millions has been placed with Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd, Appledore, by Esso Petroleum Company Ltd.  Photograph shows Dr A R W Baddeley a director of Esso Petroleum Co Ltd and Mr James Venus, managing director of Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd.

    Read More
  • Appledore builds tug for Persian Gulf State

    Taking shape in the Richmond dry dock at Appledore ship building yard of Messrs P K Harris & Sons

    Appledore builds tug for Persian Gulf State 10th April 1953

    Appledore builds tug for Persion Gulf StateRapidly taking shape in the Richmond dry dock at the Appledore ship building yard of Messrs P K Harris & Sons, is a diesel tug being built to the orders of the government of Kuwait on the Persian Gulf. 

    Photograph shows the first plate being fitted into its positon towards the bow of the vessel and inside the ship are two members of the rivetting team.

    Read More
  • Two sets of twins at Appledore shipyard

    Messrs Schiller and Powe

    Two sets of twins at Appledore shipyards 14th August 1981

    two sets of twins at Appledore shipyardHow unusual it is to have two sets of twins working for the same company.  Tony Schiller - better known locally as a Bideford FC player - and his brother David joined Appledore Shipbuilders as apprentices last August, on Sunday they celebrate their 18th birthdays. 

    Also working in the yard are 35 year twins John and George Powe, who are both shipwrights.

    Read More
  • Korean visit to Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

    Deputy Prime Minister of Korea

    Korean deputy premier visits Appledore yard 22nd March 1974

    Korean deputy premier visits Appledore yard Mr Wan Sun Tae, Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea, discusses a point during his visit to Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd with the company's executive chairman, Mr Jim Venus, and managing director, Mr Joe Ball.  A party from the Republic of Korea visited Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd. 

    The party was led by the Deputy Prime Minister of Korea included the Korean Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Mr Kyung Nok Choi.

    The visitors were shown around by Mr Jim Venus, executive chairman of the Appledore company; Mr Joe Ball, the managing director;

    Read More
  • expanding shipyard

    Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd

    Expanding Shipyard 28th January 1972

    expanding shipyardWell on the way to completion is the big extension to Appledore Shipbuilders' covered yard.

    Costing three-quarters of a million pounds, the extension will provide an extra 50,000 square feet, enabling larger fabrication units to be assembled.

    Read More
  • C711 stranded

    30 October 1970

    Hundreds of people have been making a daily trek to Westward Ho! to look at the stranded C711, a former Admiralty auxiliary tender which went ashore on the sands near Sandymere after her anchor chain had snapped while waiting near the Fairway Buoy to go into Appledore.

    stranded ship 1970


    The Pebble Ridge has provided a natural grandstand for spectators to watch the efforts made to re-float the vessel, which has two men on board.

    Read More
  • Council await report

    2 April 1971

    Bideford harbour master’s salary has not been increased for 20 years, Ald R D D Birdwood told the Town Council.

    2 April 1971 Harbour Master salary

    And because of harbour finances, no application had been made by the official. Job evaluation by the County Council management services unit was to be carried out in June, it was pointed out, and it was generally agreed that the case of the harbour master should not be dealt with in isolation. Other recommendations for review of gradings had bene deferred pending the Organisation and Methods report.The Council agreed to await the report. 

    Gazette article published 2 April 1971

    Read More
  • Tanker called Bideford

    1959 article

    In the past, big outside shipping firms, including the Reardon-Smith Line, have registered large vessels at Bideford which have never had a hope of coming up the Torridge.

    1959 Bideford tanker too big

    Lloyds Register of Shipping for 1958 features the 40,900 ton tanker ‘Bideford’ built by Kockums MV at Malmo for the Bideford Tanker Co. Ltd and registered in London.
    Messrs Fred Dessen and Co. Ltd, of London, who manage the Bideford Company are also managers of the Blandford Shipping Co. Ltd, owners of the Blandford and Bedford. The principals thought it fitting to name their company and first vessel after a port which

    Read More
  • Tankerman, tanker built on Torridgeside

    Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

    TORRIDGESIDE BUILT SHIP IS NAMED IN LONDON 18.2.1983

    torridgeside built shipProduct of the craftsmen of Appledore Shipbuilder Ltd the 10,500 ton Tankerman, a multi-purpose products tanker build on the Torridge for Rowbotham Tankships Ltd was named in Pool of London - the first time a naming ceremony has been held away from the yard. 

    Read More
  • launching of the 'Jane Hannah Macdonald 31.05.1938

    Lifeboat launch 31.05.1938

    Lifeboat launch from Bideford Quay in 1910 - 31st May 1938

    lifeboat launch

    Naming ceremony of the new Appledore Lifeboat at Bideford this year.  Picture shows the launching of the 'Jane Hannah Macdonald' from Bideford Quay in September 1910, for service at Appledore No. 1 Station, inside the Bar.  In May 1912 the 'Robert and Catherine' was also launched from Bideford Quay for service at Appledore No. 2 Station, on Braunton Burrows.

     

    Read More
  • Clovelly's lifeboat day prompts memories 14.07.1950

    new boat from builders 14.07.1950

    CLOVELLY'S LIFEBOAT DAY PROMPTS MEMORIES GRAVE AND GAY 14TH JULY 1950

    clovellys lifeboat

    New boat arrived from the builder's hands.  It was a real gathering of the clans and the remarks made by the President of the R.N.L.I. branch, Mr J C Hilton, brought back many happy memories of their boyhood days.

    What a gathering this June day was and what a mixture of men, women and children assembled on the old Quay and beach.  There are old members of the lifeboat crew who have served well and faithfully over the years, but now age demands their passing over the job to

    Read More
  • Lifeboat crew are given awards at supper party 19th July 1963

    Appledore lifeboat 19th July 1963

    Lifeboat crew are given awards at supper party 19th July 1963

    lifeboat crew

    lifeboat crew 2

    At a supper party at Appledore Hall on Friday night when Mr Sidney Cann, the coxswain of the Appledore lifeboat, and his crew were presented with the Royal National Lifeboat Institution's certificates of merit on vellum.

    The awards recognised the part they played in going to the assistance of the crew of the Admiralty tanker Green Ranger which went aground at Hartland last November.

    Among the attendance of 128 at Friday's gathering was the Inspector of Lifeboats in the South West (Cmdr. H H Harvey), who had flown from

    Read More
  • Appledore's new lifeboat arrives home 23rd November 1962

    Louisa Anne Hawker 23rd November 1962

    Appledore's new lifeboat arrives home 23rd November 1962

    Appledores new lifeboat arrives home With veteran coxswain Mr Syndey Cann at the helm, Appledore's new lifeboat crossed Bideford bar on Tuesday at the end of her journey from the builder's yard in the Isle of Wight.  She was christened 'Louisa Anne Hawker' at Bideford.

    Commander H H Harvey, district inspector of the RNLI, who was in charge of delivery, went out with a full crew to acquaint them with the layout.

    On board in addition to the Commander and Mr Cann were mechanic Mr Leon Richards, signalman Mr Basil Marshall, Mr Bill Bowden, Captain Pat Brennan

    Read More
  • Lifeboat christening 22 June 1962

    Councils dismay on christening 22 June1962

    Lifeboat christening: council's 'dismay' 22nd June 1962

    lifeboat christening

    'Dismay' of Northam Urban Council has been expressed to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution following the decision to christen the new Appledore lifeboat at Bideford.

    Appledore Station Committee felt that Bideford was a more convenient location.  Mr L Moore asked about a newspaper report that the secretary of the Lifeboat Committee had been in touch with the Council and they were satisfied with the decision.  The Clerk Mr A Gardner said that he had written to the secretary saying that the Council were not protesting about the ceremony being held in another area,

    Read More
  • First rescue 1st June 1979

    Shell Mex and BP Ltd

    First rescue June 1st 1979

    first rescue

    The planned marathon row by the Cox brothers of Appledore, reported on the front page of this issue, and the discovery that it will virtually coincide with the first ever rescue by an Appledore lifeboat, prompted research that has brought to light fascinating details.

    Lifeboat committee chairman Captain Colin Lowry tells me that the lifeboat - the Volunteer - was the third vessel to be built by the RNLI and would in fact have been the first had her builder not been so slow.  On her first mercy trip she was crewed by William Hurry, Philip Guy,

    Read More
  • Lifeboat station at Clovelly to close 28th July 1967

    RNLI to close lifeboat station 28.07.1967

     Lifeboat station at Clovelly to close 28th July 1967 (article in Western Times)

    lifeboat station at Clovelly to close Lifeboat station at Clovelly is to be closed at the end of March.  Decision by the RNLI Committee of Management, follows consideration of the whole future of the lifeboat service in the Clovelly area, and it has been made despite a strong fight put up by local branch committee.

    There has been a lifeboat station at Clovelly for nearly 100 years and Mr Jack Prince, the branch committee chairman, said that the R.N.L.I's decision had upset the villagers considerably.

    Pebbles problem: In recent years problems over the

    Read More
  • Lifeboatmen are to seek salvage 22nd December 1967

    Woodlark aground off Morte Point 22nd December 1967

    Lifeboatmen are to seek salvage 22nd December 1967

    lifeboat men to seek salvage

    A claim for salvage is being made by Appledore lifeboatmen following the incident when they helped the 900 ton coaster "Woodlark" aground off Morte Point to safety.

    Mr Ernest Carter, the lifeboat coxswain, and his crew are taking legal advice about the action, which would be independent of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.  The men themselves will have to foot the bill.

    The Woodlark, which was carrying a cargo of wines, was aground for about 7 hours before the lifeboat, which had stood by, helped on a rising tide to pull her

    Read More
  • Clovelly protests again about removal of shore lifeboat 29.03.1968

    100 years ends in the history lifeboat service at Clovelly 29.03.1968

    Clovelly protests again about removal of shore lifeboat 29.03.1968

    clovelly protests again A chapter of very nearly 100 years ends in the history of the lifeboat service at Clovelly - amid renewed protest from the village.

    Weather permitting the shore-based lifeboat leaves for Cowes that day and in future the R.N.L.I.'s 70ft cruising lifeboat, known as 70001, which is now on permanent duty in the Bristol Channel, will be responsible for the area previously covered by the Clovelly boat.

    Because he disagrees with the decision to take away Clovelly's shore based lifeboat, the local chairman, Mr Jack Prince, intimated he was not seeking re-election.

    Read More
  • New pattern for cover by lifeboat? 17th September 1965

    cruising lifeboat Bristol area 17.09.1965

    New pattern for cover by lifeboat? 17th September 1965

     

    new pattern for cover by lifeboat

    Suggestion that the revolutionary cruising lifeboat that is to be brought to Appledore around Christmas represents an immediate threat to the existence of lifeboat station in the Bristol Channel area  is 'nonsense'.

    This is an experimental type of rescue cruiser, of which two are being built.  For some time there has been rumoured a plan to station a cruising lifeboat in this locality, with permanent crews as on lightships, to serve the Bristol Channel area.

    Commander H B Acworth, assistant chief inspector of lifeboats, who was on board during the

    Read More
  • Clovelly's 100 years as lifeboat station 24th July 1970

    Centenary of lifeboat station 24th July 1970

    Clovelly's 100 years as lifeboat station 24th July 1970

    Clovellys 100 years as lifeboat station The centenary of Clovelly lifeboat station will be marked by celebrations next week culminating in the presentation of a vellum from the committee of management of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

    The lifeboat housed in Clovelly boathouse was withdrawn on March 31st 1968, but the cruising lifeboat 70-001 has since been based there, and Clovelly continues as a lifeboat station providing shore-base facilities.

    Commemoration begins on Sunday morning with a service at the Parish Church.  At the Parish Hall on Tuesday Rear Admiral Sir Edmund Irving will present the vellum in

    Read More
  • Crew of Appledore's inshore rescue boat 21.10.1977

    Wildenwrath Whizzer RNLI boat 21.10.1977

    Crew of Appledore's inshore rescue boat 21.10.1977

    Appledore inshore crew

    The crew of Appledore's inshore rescue boat "Wildenwrath Whizzer" can look forward to a restful winter after a hectic summer in which they made 24 rescues. 

    The "Whizzer" will be taken to Poole at the end of the month for annual servicing ready to resume her duties next March. (sorry article does not include crew names).

    Read More
  • Younger members not coming forward 19.11.1954

    Appledore lifeboat branch meeting 19.11.1954

    Younger members not coming forward to help lifeboat cause 19.11.1954

    younger members Concern over the fact that younger people were not coming forward to play their parts in voluntary organisations was expressed at the annual meeting of the Appledore branch of the RNLI held at Bideford Town Hall.

    Comments on the point came from the hon. treasurer, Mr W J G Coad and Captain H L Morgan in the course of tributes to the work of the Ladies' Lifeboat Guild.  Although younger members were not coming forward to take their share, the older members of the Ladies' Lifeboat Guild were carrying on

    Read More
  • Two by two

    17 August 1951

    The Torridge has seen many strange craft come and go but none more unique than the children’s Noah’s Ark pictured above on her Board of Trade trials on the river on Friday.

    17.8.1951 Bideford Ark

    Painted in bright colours, the Noah’s Ark was built by Messrs M W Blackmore and Sons, of New Road, Bideford, to the orders of Weston-super-Mare Corporation for use on the town’s Marine Pleasure Lake.
    The cartoon figures seen in nautical garb are the work of Mr Charles King, the Bucks Mills artist.
    The full Gazette article is dated 17 August 1951

    Read More
  • Busiest year in the long history of Appledore lifeboat 05.10.1973

    Photo of Appledore crew 05.10.1973

    Busiest year in long history of Appledore lifeboat 05.10.1973

    busiest year in history Appledore lifeboat service has had its busiest year since it was established in 1825.  To date there have been 26 service calls in which 23 lives have been saved.

    In one spell it made 5 rescues in four days.  "We hardly stopped one week," said Mr Wickersham.  On the recent call to the yacht Chong Peng, because of storm force winds and extra man was taken.

    Picture shows left to right: R Cann (second coxswain), P Ford (helper), M Bowden, J Wills, R Fisher, B Williams (second mechanic), Eric Wartnaby, J

    Read More
  • Appledore's new lifeboat 19th April 1962

    Lifeboat engine trials 19th April 1962

    Appledore's new lifeboat April 19th 1962

    appledores new lifeboat

    Appledore's new lifeboat, which has undergone engine trials, will, it is hoped, be ready to leave the yards of her Isle of Wight builders next month.  Provisional date for delivery is May 15th.

    The second photograph shows the view of the wheelhouse and engine casing from the fo'c'sle.  Travelling to the Isle of Wight to fetch her will probably be Coxswain Sydney Cann, the mechanic, Mr Leon Richards (who has been with the vessel on her trials) and Capt. Pat Brennan (local secretary of the R.N.L.I.).  She will be handed over by Sir Eric

    Read More
  • First tankers arrive at new depot

    Shell Mex and BP Ltd

    First tankers arrive at new depot 11th April 1958

     

    first tankers arrive at new depot Easter saw the arrival of the first five tankers at the new Shell-Mex and BP Ltd depot at East Yelland which is the first example of the pattern of streamlined distribution evolved by the company for meeting the petroleum needs of the Westcountry.

    The new depot receives its supplies by sea from the BP refinery at Llandarcy and the Shell refinery at Stanlow.

    From the Yelland depot road tankers will distribute the petroleum products, including aviation fuel to RAF Station, Chivenor, over an area within a radius of 35 miles. 

    Read More

Login Form