Weare GiffardA Selection of News Articles Related to Weare Giffard

  • 1 15th Century Stained Glass Replaced

    2 second-year students of Bideford School of Art have replaced

  • 2 Weare Giffard And Landcross WI

    Members of Weare Giffard and Landcross W.I. were entertained by Miss D Luard who gave a talk

  • 3 Master Mariner Who Went To Sea At 10

    Captain Frederick John Gayette, formerly of Myrtle Street, Appledore, who has died, at the age

  • 4 Weare Giffard Old Inhabitant

    Mrs Beatrice Mary Braunton of April Cottage, Weare Giffard, who died at the age of 82 was the widow

  • 5 Reed Threshing

    The last time reed-threshing was seen in the village of Weare Giffard was about 30 years ago

  • 6 Duties are relinquished

    19 October 1962

  • 7 A precursor to a modern 'date night'?

    9 January 1959

  • 8 Evaporation of team spirit led to defeat

    7 March 1958

  • 9 Weare Giffard Man's Abbotsham Bride

    The bridgegroom, Mr Terry William Dymond, eldest son of Mr and Mrs W Dymond, 3 Church View

  • 10 Weare Giffard Hall Sold For £11,300

    The 15th century Manor House of Weare Giffard Hall, with 3 1/2 acres of land and half a mile of fishing

  • 15th Century Stained Glass Replaced

    2 second-year students of Bideford School of Art have replaced

    15th Century Stained Glass Replaced - February 1968

     

    2 second-year students of Bideford School of Art have replaced stained glass windows in the gate house of the 15th century Weare Giffard Hall which had been vandalised some years ago.
    There are 4 windows set in pairs – the picture above details Henry VIII and Ann of Cleves. Weare Giffard Hall is being restored by Miss E M Mullins, Mrs M Minett and Mr and Mrs H M Dickinson who bought it 12 months ago.
    This picture and article appeared in the Gazette on 2 February 1968.

     
    Read More
  • Weare Giffard And Landcross WI

    Members of Weare Giffard and Landcross W.I. were entertained by Miss D Luard who gave a talk

    Weare Giffard And Landcross WI

    Weare Giffard Landcross
     

    Members of Weare Giffard and Landcross W.I. were entertained by Miss D Luard who gave a talk and showed slides about her visit to Australia. She was thanked by Mrs Bannister.
    The competition - scotch eggs - resulted: 1. Mrs Bannister; 2. Mrs Chamings.
    A new member, Mrs Moore, was welcomed.

    Read More
  • Master Mariner Who Went To Sea At 10

    Captain Frederick John Gayette, formerly of Myrtle Street, Appledore, who has died, at the age

    Master Mariner Who Went To Sea At 10 - 22nd April 1977

     

    Captain Frederick John Gayette, formerly of Myrtle Street, Appledore, who has died, at the age of 93, went to sea at the age of 10.
    He had travelled all over the world in sailing and steamships, and served on Merchant Navy ships in the Boer Wars. One of his ships was torpedoed in the First World War and another, the Shoal Fisher, was sunk by bombs in teh World War 2. He then served in the Admiralty in the Torridge estuary. For his services he was appointed M.B.E.

    Read More
  • Weare Giffard Old Inhabitant

    Mrs Beatrice Mary Braunton of April Cottage, Weare Giffard, who died at the age of 82 was the widow

    Weare Giffard Old Inhabitant - 22nd April 1977

     

    Mrs Beatrice Mary Braunton of April Cottage, Weare Giffard, who died at the age of 82 was the widow of Mr Frank Braunton. The funeral took place at Holy Trinity Church, Weare Giffard.
    Immediate mourners were: Mr and Mrs A Braunton, Mr and Mrs C Parish, Mr and Mrs R Baker, Mrs E Brend, Mr J Hocking, Mr A Tanton, Valerie Searle, Tom and Beryl Cruse, Pat Bond, Stella and John Barter, Jill and Neville Heard, Graham and Susan Brend, Ian and Carol Brend, Mrs F Ayre and Mrs P Mitchell. Bearers

    Read More
  • Reed Threshing

    The last time reed-threshing was seen in the village of Weare Giffard was about 30 years ago

    Reed Threshing - 1st December 1967

     

    Putting The Clock Back At Weare Giffard

    The last time reed-threshing was seen in the village of Weare Giffard was about 30 years ago, and it could be another 30 years before it is seen again.
    It so heard that Mr John Moore of Riversdale, Weare Giffard, heard of a sudden demand for thatch to re-roof some of the several remaining thatched buildings in the area. He hired a 'reed comber' from Messrs Murch of Little Torrington and set to work with a dozen or so helpers. The four men in the photograph are

    Read More
  • Duties are relinquished

    19 October 1962

    It was members’ night at the October meeting of Weare Giffard WI and the officers relinquished their duties for the evening.

    1962 Weare Giffard WI

    Mrs Cork took over the duties of the President, assisted by Mrs Wilkie as secretary. Mrs Chamings entertained members with a series of delightful coloured slides. Mrs Lampard-Vachell distributed bulbs for the February hyacinth competition. Mrs Lillie was the tea hostess.
    Results of the previous completion for ‘a poem on Weare Giffard’ were announced as Mrs Lillie; Mrs Bannister; and Mrs Maxwell. Mrs Coyle judged the competition for a jar of green tomato chutney awarding as follows: Mrs Lee;

    Read More
  • A precursor to a modern 'date night'?

    9 January 1959

    Baby sitters and refreshments provided.

    1959 Weare Giffard

    Husband and wife only – that was the strict ruling for those attending a Christmas and New Year social at Weare Giffard Parish Hall on Thursday week.
    The social was the second annual event of its kind at Weare Giffard and is an experiment being carried out by the rector and his wife, the Rev and Mrs J M Lucas.
    There was an attendance of 44 at the social, all husbands and wives. Young people of the village and some older members of the local Mothers’ Union branch helped with refreshments and babysitting. The programme of

    Read More
  • Evaporation of team spirit led to defeat

    7 March 1958

    So much arguing and shouting was going on among some Weare Giffard players in the second half of their North Devon Senior League game at home to Ilfracombe Town Reserves that the referee halted the game and ordered the Grasshoppers ‘Cut it out or else….’

    7.3.1958 Weare Giffard football

    The incident had a repercussion following the game when the Chairman Walter Heddon told the players concerned that they either had to mend their ways or go somewhere else for their football. Weare Giffard started off well with a goal scrambled by Kenny Keen in the first minute and were unlucky not to be leading by

    Read More
  • Weare Giffard Man's Abbotsham Bride

    The bridgegroom, Mr Terry William Dymond, eldest son of Mr and Mrs W Dymond, 3 Church View

    Weare Giffard Man's Abbotsham Bride - 22nd April 1977

     

    The bridgegroom, Mr Terry William Dymond, eldest son of Mr and Mrs W Dymond, 3 Church View, Weare Giffard, plays skittles for a village team. The bride, Miss Linda Susan Kitto, is the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs D F Kitto, 3 Glebe Houses, Abbotsham.
    Bridesmaids were Julie, the bride's sister, Vanessa, the bridgegroom's sister and Beverly and Rebecca Williams, cousins of the bride. Mr Michael Randell was best man and the ushers were the bride's brother, Bryan, the bridegroom's brother Roger and the bridegroom's brother-in-law, Mr Ivor Dennis.
    A

    Read More
  • Weare Giffard Hall Sold For £11,300

    The 15th century Manor House of Weare Giffard Hall, with 3 1/2 acres of land and half a mile of fishing

    Weare Giffard Hall Sold For £11,300 - 3rd March 1967

     
     

    Clovelly Family Joint Purchasers

    The 15th century Manor House of Weare Giffard Hall, with 3 1/2 acres of land and half a mile of fishing in the River Torridge was sold by public auction on Friday £11,300.
    Joint purchasers were Miss E Mullins of Ealing, London, and Mr and Mrs Maurice Dickinson, of the Post Office, High Street, Clovelly. Miss Mullins is Mrs Dickinson's aunt.
    Weare Giffard Hall, scheduled at being of special historic interest, was built on the site of an old Saxon manor house in about the

    Read More

Login Form