Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

To be re-hung and re-tuned

1950 Weare Giffard bells

Weare Giffard Parochial Church Council has decided to proceed with a scheme for re-hanging and re-tuning the Church’s peals of six bells.
The estimated cost of the work, which it is hoped will be finished by Christmas 1951, will be £637. This is a very heavy burden for the Church to bear by itself and it is hoped that the villagers of all denominations will concern themselves in this improvement to their historical church, so that the bells may once more ring in perfect harmony.
An appeal for funds will be launched in the near future and it is hoped that friends outside the village will give generous support. Anyone wishing to contribute can send donations to the Churchwarden, Mr L A Edwards, of Quay House, Weare Giffard, who would like to hear from anyone who is interested in ringing the bells when the necessary work has been completed.
Originally a peal of five made by Thomas Bilbie, of Cullompton, the old treble and No. 4 of five were re-cast, in 1878 and 1840, and a new treble, forming the present ring of six, was also added in 1878.
The beautiful church itself was built in the twelfth century and has seen much of the history of Devon, with close links with the Fortescue family. During the Civil Wars, the Parliamentarians are supposed to have destroyed the famous Jesse window.
The report of the bell founders, Messrs John Taylor and Co, states that all the bells appear to be sound but are not in good tune. From long usage, the bells are wearing thin where the clapper strikes against them, which will entail the bells being quarter turned for the clappers to strike on a new and unworn surface. The wood frame supporting the bells is not considered really strong enough to support them. The repairing of the bells will include bringing them into correct musical relationship for the diatonic scale of G sharp.

Gazette article dated 10 November 1950

 

Login Form