Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

Several Old Boys visiting the district on leave or on holiday were warmly welcomed at the annual meeting and reunion of Bideford Grammar School Old Boys’ Association at the Rose of Torridge Cafe, Bideford, on Friday.

1954 Bideford Grammar School Old Boys

Many old friendships were renewed at the informal gathering which followed the business part of the evening and even the oldest Old Boy was still remembered by Mr Cecil J Smith, without whom no such gathering would be complete.
Mr C F Stephens was elected President in succession to Mr R Whitefield and the meeting agreed to ask Mr C T Braddick to accept the Vice-Presidency. Mr P Fletcher was re-elected secretary and Mr G Durant, treasurer.
The headmaster, Mr C F Stephenson, was among those present and reference was made to the cordial relations which continued to exist between the School and the Old Boys’ Association. Thanks were expressed to Mr Stephenson for the loan of the cricket pitch and practice facilities for the use of the Old Boys’ cricket team and a sum of £10 was voted to the use of the school at the discretion of the headmaster. During the course of his report, the secretary commented that the list of life members of the Association was increasing satisfactorily, the present number being in the region of sixty.
When it was reported that Mr Morris Marples, a former headmaster, had recently published ‘A History of Football’ the Association decided to purchase a copy for presentation to the school.
Preliminary arrangements were made for the Association’s annual dinner to be held on January 21st 1955.

Login Form