H.R.H Princess Elizabeth
Sir, - The adjourned meeting to consider how best to co-operate in the County scheme to make a wedding gift to HRM Princess Elizabeth, was held on Wednesday last and a very satisfactory attendance of representatives approved the following:
1. That we should support the County Scheme under which donations are limited to 1s per person
2. That Banks, Schools and Organisations make their own arrangements.
3. That Shopkeepers be asked to display a notice and to keep a box or book for the convenience of their customers.
4. That Miss L May, of the Town Council’s Accountancy Staff, Town Hall, be the Honorary Secretary.
5. That those present be constituted a General Committee to co-operate with the undersigned in making necessary arrangements.
Since the meeting steps have been taken to implement the resolutions and I desire to say how encouraging it has been to me personally to experience the ready willingness of the Banks, the Schools and Shopkeepers, and others, to take collecting boxes, etc. at some inconvenience to themselves and their staffs. There are still a few properly authorised collecting boxes available if required.
I wish to emphasise that gifts however small (and not to exceed one shilling per head) should be entirely voluntary.
The results so far are most encouraging.
May I add that I much appreciate the courtesy of your columns in make the above known.
James Lang, Mayor
Mayor’s Office, Bideford