Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

A special service in connection with the unveiling of a beautifully coloured Memorial Window, bearing the inscription ‘In memory of the daughters and granddaughters of Elizabeth Reardon Smith, erected by members of the Family’, was the object of the large gathering on Wednesday last.

1 February 1938 Sir W Smith

Rev J Sidwick (Pastor) conducted the service, and his theme was appropriately taken from 54th chapter of Isaiah. Miss Mitchell performed the unveiling ceremony. Other members of the family present were Mr and Mrs Lilley, and Mr and Mrs W Smith (Cardiff). Mrs Carter beautifully rendered ‘Open the Gates of the Temple’, Mrs Evans accompanying. The congregation then adjourned to the schoolroom for tea of which a great company partook. Mr Lang (Secretary) welcomed the members of the family who were present, and voiced the thanks of the Church for the gift of the window. He also spoke of the long association of the family with the Church, and of the generosity of the late Sir William Reardon Smith and the continued help from his successor, who it was regretted was unable to be present owing to his being abroad. Rev Hugh Muller added his congratulations, and Mr W Smith and Miss Mitchell suitably responded.
After tea, Miss R Lang entertained the company with organ music and in the evening the Sunday School scholars contributed a delightful programme. The Primary, under Mrs Tuplin and Mrs Evans, and the Juniors, trained by Miss Lang, presented their songs and recitations extremely well.
Rev J Sidwick presented the prizes to the scholars, and gave a stirring message to the parents. Mr Lang presided, supported by Mr J Heddon (Junior Superintendent). The arrangements for the tea were made by Mrs Sidwick, Mrs Balloch, Miss Hedden, Mrs Lang and Mrs Sutherland.

Login Form