Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

Bideford District logo AL1

October 1924

Births – Pitt – at Hazelhurst, to Ellen wife of W J Pitt, a Son; a daughter to Mr and Mrs W J Cording, Niagara, High Street, Bideford; at Eaglehurst, Silver Street, a daughter to Mr and Mrs B Western.

Marriages – Fogaty-Willcocks; Jewell-Mill; Richards-Young;

Deaths – Florence Minnie Fursman; Ephraim Oke; Robert Harrison Salmon; Eric Bertram Marsh; Jane Hammett; May Tucker; Sarah Dunn; John Thomas Heal.

Are you thinking of moving house, or even emigrating? R Dymond and Son, and R Blackmore and Sons, have all the services you need.

Oct 1924 Bideford Blackmore removals

Oct 1924 Bideford Dymond removals

It is harvest thanksgiving time, and there are weekly reports of celebrations throughout the month in the District News Column. These come from Beaford, Landcross, Westleigh, Bideford, Parkham, Northam, Hartland, Appledore and Clovelly amongst others.  Many of the gifts gratefully acknowledged by the Bideford and District Hospital involve fruit, vegetables and bread from local churches. Whatever else may be said about the season and the weather this is a profitable year for blackberry picking and nutting expeditions. Such a crop of hazelnuts, as is now discovered, is not seen once in ten years. The blackberry, too, one of the best fruits that grow, and particularly suitable to our use and appetites is everywhere plenteous.

In a surprising turn of events, following a defeat for the Conservative Government in a vote on a decision not to prosecute a Communist Editor on 8 October, a snap election has been called. This will take place on 29 October, one of the shortest campaigns on record. Locally, a request has been made that Polling Stations for the forthcoming election should be on the ground floor. Stairs to the Town Hall and Council Chambers are too challenging for many people who want to cast their ballot. Basil Peto has been re-adopted as the Conservative candidate, with Captain Tudor Rees for the Liberals and R Gifford for Labour. There are many reports of speeches and meetings around the region, including one in Appledore which degenerated into anarchy. The meeting was due to be addressed by Tudor Rees, but he was refused a hearing and suffered constant interruptions. It is reported that he was shouted down many times and eventually left the room to be confronted by a hostile crowd. A large bag of white powder was thrown and a member of Devon County Council was struck on the head by a missile and rendered unconscious. The disruptions appear to have been the work of supporters of Basil Peto as they repeatedly shouted “Up Peto”. Mr Peto has condemned their actions and has appealed for no reprisals. (The result of the election will come too late for the October papers and will be covered in 100 years ago – November 1924.)

At a Bideford Rural Council meeting, the Abbotsham mortuary question arises.

Oct 1924 Abbotsham mortuary

Rev Canon J A Kempe (Vicar) presided at the opening of the new parish hall at Abbotsham. The hall has been erected at a cost of approximately £1,100 on glebe lane to the north of the church, purchase from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and freed from all restrictions. Provided by local subscriptions, the hall is entirely undenominational. All the money has been raised except £400, which sum residents have guaranteed or advanced on loan. The opening ceremony was made the occasion of much rejoicing, sports and a tea in the afternoon being followed by a concert in the evening. The proceeds of the day were for the internal fittings of the Hall.

Oct 1924 Abbotsham hall

Stock from Portledge, Alwington, is for sale.

Oct 1924 Alwington Portledge stock

The harvest festival at St Andrew’s Church, Alwington, was a great success in every way. All the services were well attended, especially in the evening one when the Rector, Rev H C Spring, preached an appropriate and impressive sermon. The Church was beautifully decorated with choice flowers, fruit and vegetables from Portledge, Yeo Vale, and the Rectory, while neighbouring farmers kindly sent corn and apples. The collections at the services and entrance fees from sports amounted to £13 7s 6d, which is given to the Bideford Hospital. The grapes were given to the sick in the parish and the Hospital.

Harvest services were held at the Congregational Church, Appledore, the preacher at the morning service being Mr A E Green. In the evening Mr A W Cock preached, and as this gentleman is so well known as a polished speaker, and effective preacher it is unnecessary to say more than this his services were greatly appreciated.

It was agreed, on the recommendation of the General Purposes Committee, to establish a Maternity and Child Welfare Centre for Appledore, to be worked in cooperation with the County Council’s Medical department, an expenditure of £12 up to the end of the year being authorised. The Appledore members, with Mrs Galsworthy and Mrs Harvey were asked to form the Committee.

At Bideford County Sessions Mr Alfred Reed of Bude Street, was, on the application of Mr T A Goaman, granted a music and dancing license for a room at East Appledore, from 1pm to 1am. The application was influentially supported. On the application of Mr F G Lefroy, Bideford County Magistrates granted a transfer of the license of the Coach and Horses from Mr R W Crang to Mrs Mary Elizabeth Fry, and the license of the Rising Sun was transferred from Mrs Fry to Mr Samuel Guard.

Mr Henry Hinks regrets bringing case forward.

Oct 1924 Appledore Hinks Revenge

Norman Beer, now living in Liddington, is charged with bigamy after marrying Mary Gwynne. His lawful wife, whom he married in 1904, is Bessie Annie Beer who still lives in Appledore. Bessie refused to give evidence as she said she didn’t want him back.

On Sunday, the bell ringers rang a muffled peal in respect of the late Miss Sally O’Kelly, one of the oldest inhabitants of West Appledore and who passed away after a prolonged illness. She was one of the last who as a child, was placed on the foundation stone of the church in 1835, and was a devout and active church worker all her life.

The late Mr Thomas Slade, who died at the age of 74, was laid to rest in Appledore Churchyard. Deceased had followed a seafaring life for many years and was a brother of Mrs Mary Jane Hare.

The schooner Ythan, of Appledore, Captain William John Lamey, of Endsleigh House, Richmond Terrace, Appledore, owner and captain foundered.

Oct 1924 Appledore Ythan Lamey

The Engagement is announced of Leslie Frederick William Farmer, Indian Army, and Violet Pezzack, fourth daughter of Mr and Mrs R G Ash, of Riverside, Appledore.

At St Mary’s Church, Appledore, an exquisite altar frontal has been dedicated in memory of Mr William Dunn of Greysands, the former manager of the Gas Works.

A Kingsley Street, Bideford, property for sale.

Oct 1924 Bideford Kingsley Street property

Bideford Council School Managers, Alderman J M Metherell in the chair, have received with regret the resignation on retirement of Mr George Cook, of Bideford Old Town Boys’ School, who was for so many years Headmaster of the Old Gunstone Street Boys’s School. After the resignation had been formally accepted, Mr A R Adams bore the highest testimony to Mr Cook’s sterling and conscientious work during the forty years of his career in the teaching profession, and moved a resolution recording the Managers’ warmest appreciation of his valued services, and wishing long life and every happiness in his well-earned retirement.

At St Mary’s Church, Bideford, a very pretty wedding took place between Mr Redvers Charles Turner and Miss Grace Ebsworthy, of Newport-terrace, Bideford. The bride, who was given away by her father, was very becomingly attired in a fawn costume; she was unattended. Mr Frederick Rowe, a friend of the bridegroom, carried out the duties of best man. At reception was held at the bride’s home, after the wedding, at which friends of both families were present.

After spirited bidding, Ford Cottage in the New-road, Bideford, was at Tanton’s Hotel sold by Messrs R Dymond and Son to Mr J M Bromell, of Holsworth, for £800.

At Bideford Borough Sessions William John Oke, blacksmith, summoned for using obscene language within hearing of the highway, pleaded guilty. PC Peardon said at 9.30pm in North Road, he heard bad language being used at 27 North Road, and defendant said it was his wife’s fault; she was an invalid and he had to shout to her. Fined 9s.

Mr Leslie R Glover, of Lime Grove, Bideford, an apprentice with Mr T Hogg, has passed the College of Preceptors Examination at Cardiff, recognised by the Pharmaceutical Society.

The offices of Messrs John Cock and Sons Builders, on the Pill, Bideford, were broken into during the weekend and ransacked, the safe being forced. A bicycle and £10 are missing. Police Inspector Sydney Adams, elder son of Mr & Mrs J Adams of Silver Street, Bideford, has been in the news in Cardiff - working in the docks district, he is reported to have “single-handedly captured an armed Chinaman who was in possession of a huge quantity of opium”.

Little Jack Scoins, with his mother, Mrs Joe Scoins, who are home on a visit from the United States are leaving Bideford for a tour in Ireland and will visit his grandmother Mrs John Kinsella, alongside the Lakes of Killarney.

Play tennis at Bideford.

Oct 1924 Bideford tennis courts

Visit George Boyle Ltd, The Cyclery, Bideford.

Oct 1924 Bideford George Boyle cyclery

As the nights draw in, thoughts are turning to warmer clothes, and you can visit H F Elliott in the High Street, Bideford, to purchase weather appropriate items.

Oct 1924 H F Elliott men

Oct 1924 H F Elliott

The death of Mrs Mary Cole, the wife of Mr Fred Cole, of Fermoy Cottage, East-the-Water, Bideford, which took place has occasioned much regret in the district. The deceased was a native of Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland, but had been residing in Bideford for some time. She leaves a husband and seven children.

Oct 1924 Bideford Mary Cole

The funeral took place at Little Torrington Churchyard of the late Miss Emma Jane Hammett, of 29 Myrtle Grove, Bideford. The service at the church and graveside was conducted by the Rector, Rev Pollock.

The funeral took place of the late Mr Frederick Charles Watts, of Strand Cottage, aged 39 years, who from a boy was in the employ of Dr Ellis Pearson, for some years as a chauffeur, and was held in much esteem by all who knew him, he being of a most genial and obliging disposition. The funeral took place of Sergt J T Heal, son of Mr H Heal and the late Mr Heal, of 39 Honestone Street, the interment being at the Higher Cemetery. The Rev Rodda officiated. He was carried to rest by his old Platoon mates of the 1/6th Devons, with whom he had served in the Army, viz Messrs Gent, Hambly, Shortridge, Woolfe, Giddy and Jenkins. A large circle of friends greatly regretted to learn of the death after a lengthy illness, of Mr Eric Marsh, of Ven Glen, Bideford, managing director of Eric B Marsh Ltd, of the Torridge Engineering Works. Mr Marsh was held in the highest esteem by all who knew him.

Oct 1924 Bideford Watts

The funeral of Mrs John Wade, of Littleford Cross (Bradworthy), whose death occurred after a long and serious illness, patiently borne, took place in the Free Church Cemetery when the deceased was carried to her last resting place by Messrs William, Charles and Edmund Wade, C Staddon, Alfred and Arthur Beer. The services at the United Methodist Church and the graveside were conducted by Rev F Dennis.

With the idea of forming a branch of the British Legion for the district, with headquarters at Bradworthy, a meeting was held at the Club Room, when Brig-General Campbell addressed a large number of ex-Service men. After the aims and objects of the League were explained, a branch was inaugurated, with Major Spread as chairman, Commander Corlett treasurer, and Mr Alfred Slee secretary; committee, Rev A E Dobson, Messrs T Jennings, Grant, C Cory, L Moase, W Slade and W Johns.

PC Davis, who has been stationed at Bradworthy for about three years leaves shortly for Axminster. The vacancy is being filled by PC French, of Torquay.

On account of the lamented death of Miss May Tucker, Borough, Buckland Brewer, the whist drive on behalf of the Institute of the Blind is postponed. The funeral took place in the parish churchyard amidst poignant signs of sorrow and sympathy. Practically every house was represented, the funeral cortege being the largest ever witnessed in the village. Miss Tucker’s affable demeanour, sweet disposition, singularly unselfishness, transparent sincerity combined with a quiet, unassuming manner, had deservedly won the esteem and affection of everyone, and regret was universal and heartfelt that her young life had so prematurely been cut short.

Oct 1924 Buckland Brewer Tucker death

Mr John Cardale, Canadian Government Emigration Agent of Bristol, gave a very interesting lecture at Buckland Brewer.

Oct 1924 Buckland Brewer Cardale Canada

William and James Marshall of Oke Farm, Buckland Brewer, are jointly charged with stealing a Sealyham terrier to the value of £4 from the Angel Inn, Bideford. The dog was found tied up in their barn. The case was adjourned for more witnesses to be called as the reason for the theft was unclear.

We regret to record the death, which took place at Bucks Cross, at the age of 71 years, of Mr John Henry Dayman, a highly esteemed and respected parishioner. A member of an old Hartland family, Mr Dayman had been for the past 41 years smith at Bucks Cross, and was as well liked as he was widely known. He leaves a widow, two sons and four daughters to mourn their loss. The high regard in which the deceased was held was shown by the very large attendance at the funeral which took place at St Anne’s Church, Bucks Cross. The Rev G Whitaker officiated.

Clovelly sharks.

Oct 1924 Clovelly sharks

By the death of Mr Joshua Littlejohns at Slerra the parish of Clovelly has lost one of its oldest residents. For a period of nearly 50 years he was an employee on the Clovelly Estate, where he proved himself a zealous, trustworthy and faithful servant, and was greatly respected. For five years he was a familiar figure at the Yellery Gate. The sudden death of his son, Caleb, in 1919 was a great blow to Mr Littlejohns and he never fully recovered from the shock.

Oct 1924 Clovelly Littlejohns funeral

The death of Mr Ephraim Oke took place at the residence of his sister, Mrs F Hambly. The deceased, who was a native of Hartland, for many years farmed South Hole, Hartland, which had been in his family for over 120 years. He was a parish councillor and charity trustee and was greatly respected by the late Sir George and Sir Lewis Stucley, and all who knew him.

Mr Daniel Williams died at the home of his son, Thomas Edward, where he has chiefly lived since the death of his wife at Milford. They formerly lived many years at Docton Cottages. Pastor Trudgeon officiated at the funeral.

At Hartland, Mr Sidney Albert Williams has been appointed Secretary of the Men’s Club at the Church Room, in succession to Mr Gordon Fleming Woods, who has carried out the duties during the past three years.

Rev George H Schofield is making records. Reference to the list of Wesleyan Ministers of the Circuit for the past 115 years shows he is the first to come back by invitation for a second term and the only superintendent to stay four years.Mrs G H Headon and Miss Heywood have been appointed organists at the Hartland Wesleyan Church.

A marriage of much interest took place in the Wesleyan Church, Holsworthy, the bride being Miss Lily Mary Mill, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Jno Mill, The Square, and Henry Stanley, only son of Mr and Mrs John S Jewell, of Milton Place, Bideford. The bride for many years was a member of the Wesleyan choir, and the bridegroom formerly employed in the Council offices. The bride wore…

Oct 1924 Bideford Holsworthy

Will the old scholars and friends of Mr Whitlock, for 35 years Headmaster of Instow Council Schools please accept his thanks for the handsome gold watch with which they presented him on his retirement.

Much interest was taken in the wedding at the Parish Church of St James, Instow, of Miss Beta Maud Fayrer, and Lieut Eric Alexander Aglivy Hutchinson, Royal Artillery. The bride is the only daughter of Lieut Colonel F D S Fayrer, and Mrs Fayrer, of Sea View House, Instow, the bridegroom being the only son of Sir Thomas Hutchinson, Bart, and Lady Hutchinson, of 2 Douglas-crescent, Edinburgh.

Oct 1924 Instow Hutchinson Fayrer wedding

The death of Mr William Gayton severs another link with the parish of Instow, as his family have been associated with it for nearly a century. A sister to the deceased still survives (Mrs Thomas Huxtable) and she is residing with her husband in the old home occupied by the late Mr Gayton nearly a century ago. Mr William Gayton was a well known and much esteemed Nonconformist. He was for many years a faithful leader of the Young Men’s Bible Class at the Wesleyan Church, Instow. The deceased’s work as a thatcher took him practically all over the widely scatter district from Saunton, Ilfracombe, Loxhore, and as far as Merton. On several occasions he was pressed to go as far afield as Bath, and even into Gloucester.

At the London Dairy Show, Mrs R A Jones, of Instow, took a 1st and silver medal for clotted cream.

The funeral of the late Mr Robert Harrison Salmon, of Crossways, took place at Littleham Church, the Rector, the Rev Edmund Fitzgerald Kerrich, BA, officiating. The mourners attending were Miss D M Salmon and Miss M R Salmon (daughters), Mr G Sanders and Miss Clements. Others present at the funeral included Mr and Mrs Sedden, Mrs Sanders, Mr Braggen, mr and Mrs Shepheard, Mr Talamy, Mr J Dennis and Mr G Norman. There were no flowers by request. The funeral arrangements were carried by Messrs Merefield and Trapnell, Bideford.

A whist drive was held in the Monkleigh Parish Room in aid of the Skittle Club. It was a great success and about 40 players were present. Mrs Daw, the President, gave away the prizes, Mr J E Yonatt proving an efficient MC. The winners were:

Oct 1924 Monkleigh whist drive

We regret to record the death, which took place at his residence, Sefton, Northam, after a somewhat lengthy illness, of Mr Samuel Fulford, JP, who had been for many years one of the most prominent public men in North Devon, particularly in his own district, with the local government of which he had been closely associated for approaching half a century. Probably no one had a fuller knowledge of the modern history of the Northam and Westward Ho! district than Mr Fulford possessed, and he was always ready to put that knowledge at the disposal of the parish and its governing bodies, whilst he had a kindliness of heart that especially endeared him to the poor.

Oct 1924 Northam Fulford

At Bideford County Sessions, a window cleaner, aged sixteen years and nine months, of Northam, pleaded guilty to stealing a silver watch, valued at £2 10s, the property of Miss Eva Colwill, from a dressing table near a bedroom window at Arda House, Northa, where he had been engaged window cleaning. When cautioned and told by PC Uglow that he was suspected defendant at first denied the theft, but when it was pointed out to him that he was the only one who had access to the room, he replied that he ‘might just as well tell the truth’ and produced a watch from a clothes box at his home. This was a first offence, and the Bench bound defendant over in the sum of £5 for twelve months.

At a Children’s Court at Bideford, two boys, aged 12, pleaded guilty to a charge of breaking into the offices of Messrs Cock, builders on the Pill, Northam, and stealing £10 in cash, three pairs of gloves, a leather belt, and a cycle lamp, while one of them also pleaded guilty to stealing a bicycle. The Bench, Mr H N G Stucley in the chair, ordered both boys to be bound over for twelve months, and one of them to receive six strokes with the birch.

Presentation from residents to Miss E Pickard, postmistress at Northam.

Oct 1924 Northam Pickard postmistress

The wedding took place at Devonport of Norman, youngest son of Mr and Mrs F Webber, of Northam, and Doris, youngest daughter of Capt and Mrs T Bennett of Appledore.

Members of Parkham Women’s Institute have had a busy and profitable time during the summer months, though they did not always get good luck with their picnics owing to wet weather. Rain, for instance, spoilt…

Oct 1924 Parkham WI

At Shebbear, many of the farmers took advantage of the fine weather and carried a great deal of corn on Sunday last week. The dedication festival has been observed at St Michael’s Church. The bells rang throughout. The number of Communicants exceeded that of Easter.

Mr William Ellis, the well known carriage builder, of Folly (Shebbear), passed away at the age of 83 in the early hours of Wednesday. He was held in great respect throughout the district. The New Inn Wesleyan Chapel loses one of its most faithful adherents. On the morning preceding his decease he became a great grandfather.

The Rev T E Fox (chairman of the Fortescue Trustees) distributed boot tickets to the value of £26 to children who had made over 400 attendances at Shebbear Council School.

Mr James Copp, of the Torridge Inn, Torrington, has dug a single stalk on which were four potatoes weighing 5lb 12oz. These remarkable tubers are on view at the Torridge Inn.

A rather considerable increase in casuals was reported at Torrington Guardians, the number for the past fortnight being 71, compared with 48 in the corresponding period. Replying to the Chairman, Mr J Squance, the Master, Mr Harrison, stated a lot were ‘old stagers’, aged 50, 60 and 70, there being a very few young men amongst them. It was decided to get a supply of stone for breaking.

Kempton House, Torrington, is for sale.

Oct 1924 Torrington Kempton House

Although Torrington has a population of just over 3,000, there have been only six burials in the last three months, and of these two were out-parishioners. An excellent record, surely.

The death has occurred of Mrs Helen Painter, wife of Mr William Painter (a well known cabinet maker), and daughter of the late Mr William Oliver, of Westleigh.

For the annual harvest festival, St Peter’s Church, Westleigh, was very prettily decorated by willing helpers. The musical portion of the service was exceedingly well rendered by the choir, including Frank Adlam and Caleb Simper. The solos were very effectively taken by Miss L McGrath and Mr H Battenbury.

Stock from Westleigh Home Farm, Westleigh, is for sale.

Oct 1924 Westleigh Home Farm stock

Westward Ho! alarmist statements denied and the Royal North Devon golf course is in perfect order.

Oct 1924 Westward Ho RNDGC golf

The question of coast erosion at Westward Ho! arose in the course of an inquiry at Northam by Mr P M Crosthwaite of the Ministry of Health, into the application of Northam Urban Council to borrow £6,000 for works of sea defence at Westward Ho! the scheme being suggested as one to assist in relieving unemployment and for which a grant is sought. The process of erosion since 1875 were given. The present scheme is to build a cement and concrete wall from a point about 100 yards east of the Nassau Baths to the outlet of the land drain opposite Springfield Terrace, and Mr Walter J Barnes, clerk to Northam Council, stated that unless protective works were carried out the coast line used for bathing huts, sites, the Bath Hotel, recreation grounds, and the road to the golf links would be in danger. Mr John Harris (Appledore) opposed the application.

Mr Johns, of Kingsley Chapel, was motoring from Northam to Westward Ho! when little David Crombie, the five year old son of Col Crombie, ran out of a gateway in Grove Terrace in front of the car and was unavoidably knocked down. Although bruised, fortunately no bones were broken, and yesterday the little fellow was progressing satisfactorily.

Mr Samuel Dunn, of Pitford Farm, Winkleigh, left £2,157. Probate has been granted to his widow, Mrs Louisa Dunn, of the same address.

The Parish Church of Woolsery West was filled with a large congregation of relatives and friends from all parts of North Devon, in honour of the wedding of Mr W T Harris, son of Mr W F Harris, JP, CC, Chairman of Bideford Rural Council and Mrs Harris, of East Putford, and Miss Ida A Burrow, daughter of Mr and Mrs J Burrow of Lower Town, Woolsery. Both bride and bridegroom are members of well known yeoman families, held in the esteem in the district, and the heartiest of good wishes were showered upon the happy pair. Bridesmaids were Miss A Bond, Bideford, and Miss M Boundy, of Buckland Brewer. Mr G Harris, cousin of the bridegroom, carried out the duties of best man.

Oct 1924 Woolsery marriage Harris Burrow

October 1974

Route of the road linking North Devon with the M5 is expected to be announced by the Government ‘fairly soon’, it was reported at Devon County Council meeting. All the 70,000 people living in North Devon had problems, said Cllr John Brannan (Cons Instow). “Those of us in can’t get out and those of us out can’t get in.” The railway line to Taunton had closed and that to Exeter was threatened. The road to Exeter was a 40-mile corkscrew and that to Taunton a winding country lane.

A coffee morning held at 9 Rickards Green, Abbotsham, the home of Mrs Swain, raised over £40, including the sale of Christmas cards, for Dr Barnado’s. Draw winners were Mrs Kiernander, Mrs L Hockin and Mrs Selwood.

A brother and sister seen horse riding on Northam Burrows early one morning in June were each fined £5 and ordered to pay £4.11 costs by the local magistrates. Stephen C Davis and Carolyn Ruth Davis, both of Abbotsham Court Hotel, wrote admitting that they rode horses on a part of the Burrows where riding is forbidden. Mr J D Philipp, prosecuting on behalf of the Burrows Committee, said that the committee were anxious that it should be generally known not only that riding was forbidden, but also that the law must be obeyed and people could not disregard it as and when they felt like it.

After harvest thanksgiving services at St Helen’s Church, Abbotsham, the produce was shared among the Torridge Hospital and meals-on-wheels, Northam. At a family service in the morning children brought along their gifts. Collections on the day raised £30.44 for the Royal Agricultural benevolent Institution.

First anniversary of re-opening of the Seamen’s Mission, Appledore.

Oct 1974 Appledore Seamens Mission

Renovation of a house in Irsha Street, Appledore could cost £20,000.

Oct 1974 Appledore Irsha

The funeral has taken place at St Mary’s Church, Appledore, of Mrs Minnie Lavinia Short, wife of Mr George Short, of Pitt Avenue.

Oct 1974 Appledore Short funeral

The funeral has taken place at St Mary’s Church, Appledore, of Mrs Fanny Lock, who died at her home, 1 Meeting Street, at the age of 85. She was the widow of Mr Robert Champion Lock.

Oct 1974 Appledore Lock funeral

Thirty-five years of Baptist ministry comes to an end for the Rev Gwynne H Watkeys, of Appledore. Mr Watkeys, who has been responsible for the Baptist churches at Appledore and Westward Ho! since February 1949, plans to retire with his wife to their native South Wales. A cheque and a bible marking the appreciation of his church members will be made to him at the service at Appledore.

Oct 1974 Appledore Watkeys

Appledore Town Band were top of the hit parade at the visit by representatives of Northam district to Mondeville for the official charter signing ceremony between the two areas. The 29-strong Appledore band were very much in demand, so much so that the planned programme was extended. Youngest member of the band was 11 year old Carol Edwards.

Oct 1974 Appledore Band Mondeville

The voice on the other end of the line on a Sunday morning telephone call was the last one Mr and Mrs ‘Consie’ Prust expected to hear at their Staddon Road, Appledore, home. From Australia; it was that of Harry Sutherland, who was player-manager of Bideford FC in 1952-53 when he emigrated to Melbourne.

Oct 1974 Appledore Prust Sutherland Melbourne

One for the album! Private Alan Pate, of Bideford, poses with two other members of Y Company of the First Battalion of the Royal Hampshire Regiment. Actual location is the village of Tutong, Brunei. He is a former pupil of Bideford County Secondary School and his parents live at Pynes Lane, Bideford.

Oct 1974 Bideford Pate

The mystery of the loo that wasn’t at East-the-Water, Bideford.

Oct 1974 Bideford toilet

Success for Wynne Olley, Bideford hairdressing salon.

Oct 1974 Bideford Wynne Olley

Teams with family relationships are not uncommon in the local sporting leagues, but few can claim quite the family interest of two sides in the Bideford and District Ladies Skittles League and Bideford and District Darts League. The women’s skittles team Three Generations comprises Mrs Olive Waters, Mesdames Enid and Lorraine Waters, Mrs Phyllis Cole, Mrs Pat Cole, plus Miss Carol Willey. Setter-up is Miss Susie Waters, daughter of Mrs Enid Waters and granddaughter of Mrs Olive Waters! At the Kings Arms, Bideford, Sid Kelly leads the Division IV men’s darts team known as Sid’s Boys. Also in the team are his three sons, Alan, Len and Glen, plus his son-in-law Joe Burslem.

Oct 1974 Bideford skittles ladies

Oct 1974 Bideford men darts

The funeral has taken place at St Mary’s Church, Bideford, followed by cremation, of Mrs Olive Mary Jenn, aged 83, widow of Mr Montague Yeo Jenn, of The Homelet, Bideford. Daughter of a former headmaster of Appledore National School, the late Mr F A Cole, Mrs Jenn was for many years a teacher. From 1941 until its closure in 1950, she was Warden of the Bridge Street Welfare Nursery, and for several years afterwards taught at Nilgala School, Bideford. She leaves three sons, the eldest now retired from the Devon Constabulary, and two who are headmasters of schools in North Devon.

Oct 1974 Bideford Jenn

An order prohibiting vehicles using Mill Street and Cooper Street, Bideford, throughout the week except for access – with no access at all between 10am and 4pm on Saturdays – was confirmed by the North Devon Torridge highways sub-committee. The decision means through traffic will be banned.

Bideford milkman Mr Patrick Willis, of 5 Pynes Walk, will have a special reason for remembering his 21st birthday. He is to be studio contestant on the weekly ‘Golden Shot’ television programme compered by Bob Monkhouse.

Oct 1974 Bideford Willis Golden Shot

Although warned by their chairman, Cllr Michael Goss, that their action could lead to the establishment of a village where none was intended, the plans sub-committee of Torridge District Council’s Development and Leisure Services Committee agreed to extend the holiday season at Berridon Hall, Bradworthy. The owners, P F Country Estate Developments Ltd, had asked that 12 chalets – the first stage of the development – could be occupied from March to January instead of being forced to close at the end of the season.

Officers and committee elected at the annual meeting of Buckland Brewer YFC were: Isabel Allin, Maurice Poole, Sandra Martin, Rosemary Hearn, George Heywood, Mackie Poole, John Tucker and John Pennington.

Oct 1974 Buckland Brewer YFC

Nine children of the infants’ class of Clovelly School are to be attendants at the wedding at the Parish Church of Miss Virginia Rous, who is the youngest of the three daughters of the Hon Keith Rous, who now lives mainly in Portugal, and the Hon Mrs M Rous, of Clovelly Court.

Oct 1974 Clovelly Rous marriage

A dinner and dance held at the Clovelly Parish Hall was organised by Mrs G Friend and members of the Revels Committee. Lucky dinner ticket was won by Mrs W Pengilly and draw winners were Mr N Messer and Mrs C Searles.

Special congratulations were extended at a parents’ open evening for the Hartland Detached Flight of the Air Training Corps to two members of the unit, Barry Shute and David Cornish, who have gained the silver award of the Duke of Edinburgh’s scheme. Flying Officer B W Endean, commanding officer, said it was the first time such awards had been gained by unit members and, to his knowledge, the first time they had been gained in the Hartland area. Receiving their awards, both lads announced their intention of working for the gold, the highest award of the scheme. At a service conducted by the Rev Ron Watts…

Oct 1974 Hartland awards ATC

Winners at a Don match at Hartland in aid of cancer funds were Mrs Jeffery and Mr Bragg, Mrs M Brown and Mrs E Bolton, Mrs E Dayman and Mrs M Beer, Mrs Cook and Miss Turner. Draws – Mr Dunn, Mr G Thorne, Mr W Toase and Mr H Shute.

Commodore Hotel, Instow, is now open for the winter season.

Oct 1974 Instow Commodore Hotel

More young people will be able to stay on the National Trust island of Lundy next year, thanks to conversion work aimed at increasing accommodation for youth parties by a third. And other work has included the restoration and decoration of Millcombe House, built about 1835 and once the home of the Heaven family, who owned the island in the 19th century – an ownership resulting in Lundy being known for a time as the Kingdom of Heaven.

Oct 1974 Lundy Island Millcombe

Extensions to Northam Methodist Church premises costing just over 33,000 were officially opened by Miss Jane Shutt, one of the church’s senior members who for some 40 years was secretary of the women’s pleasant hour meeting. The extensions include a new kitchen, new toilets and an entrance at the rear to and from the new bungalow estate at Grigg’s Close.

Oct 1974 Northam Methodist Shutt

Rev Maurice Hart, Reg Babb, Mr and Mrs Rupert Hill, Mandy Colwill, Mandy Clarke and Miss Shutt

Burrough Farm, Northam – housing site or site for a new secondary school?

Oct 1974 Northam Burrough Farm

Mr M J Richards’ proposal to construct a car park for 103 cars on land off North Street, Northam, has been rejected by Torridge District Council’s Department and Leisure Services committee. The committee chairman, Cllr W J Cann, pointed out that they had approved a proposal for a car park on land at Bone Hill Farm.

Tried out for the first time – and found entirely satisfactory! – the garden seat presented to the residents of Southleigh old people’s bungalows at Northam by Bideford Ladies’ Circle, who raised the money for it with a fashion show. The seat was formally handed over by Mrs Redmore and accepted by Mrs Honora Broad.

When in the next few weeks, Lieut Martin King, of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, whose parents live on the outskirts of Northam, takes his platoon of junior soldiers of the Prince of Wales Division to their new depot he will be returning to his birthplace. The only son of Major and Mrs Mike King, of Lenwood Country Club. Next month, with six of his junior soldiers, Lieut King is taking part in the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall.

Oct 1974 Northam King

The children of Parkham School were very well supported by their parents and friends at their harvest service in the Allardice Hall.

Oct 1974 Parkham harvest festival

Mrs W Heywood showed interesting slides of Africa at the September meeting of Parkham WI, and was thanked by Mrs Sloper. The competition – one pound of plum jam – was won by Mrs P Dunn, and the penny bag competition winner was Mrs Smith. Tea hostesses were Mrs Smart and Mrs Smith. The president, Mrs J George, presided.

Major Robert Alfred Wickham, of Concord, Torrington, who has died suddenly at the age of 74, was chairman from 1967-70 of the Westward Ho! and Bideford Art Society, and a vice-president at the time of his death. At Torrington he had been closely connected with the Royal British Legion and at Bideford he was co-opted member of the Free Library committee for a number of years. He had served as a major with the North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales).

For 24 years until his retirement at the end of 1972 caretaker of Torrington cemetery, Mr Ernest Quick, of Stonemans Lane, Torrington, has died. A native of Torrington and a keen gardener, he served from 1934-49 in the Royal Engineers and was in the Middle East for six years. Bearers were Messrs Albert Balkwell, Clarrie Mules, Wally Jones and Peter Symons, former colleagues and friends. There were family flowers only and donations are being made to Torrington Cottage Hospital comforts fund.

One of the best known former Torrington soccer players has died at the age of 77. Mr William Henry (Pasha) Baker, of Calf Street, was one of the best fullbacks in North Devon shortly after the first World War, and won most of the local honours in the game.

Annual running costs of Torrington’s swimming pool now being built are estimated at £27,340. Suggested probable income is between £4,000 and £7,000 annually depending on charges and the hours of opening. Torridge District Council’s Development and Leisure Services Committee were also told that the contract price of the pool – £75,279.40 – would be £76,758.25 allowing for the deduction of a 32,000 contingency item, provided further essential work was done. At the moment locker accommodation for 60 bathers at a time was planned.

Sylvia Symons, captain of the Railway Hotel team, faced her daughter Gillian Wearne and daughter-in-law Marjory Symons when her team visited the Conservative Club in Torrington Ladies’ Darts League.

Oct 1974 Torrington darts Symons

Torrington’s £100,000 plus entertainment centre, described as ‘one of the finest buildings in North Devon’ may never open because there is no money to keep it alive. This warning was given to Torridge District Council’s Development and Leisure Services Committee by Mr John Lane, chairman of the project’s management committee with an application for annual grant aid towards the former Drill Hall’s operation. The centre is scheduled to open next April.

Oct 1974 Torrington Drill Hall

Three Viking ships are now under construction on Torridgeside – but only one will be of a permanent nature. One will go up in smoke on Torrington Common as part of the annual fireworks display, and another, a temporary converted effort, will carry Appledore Pirates up the Torridge to Boathyde for their ‘invasion’ which will form a prelude to the Torrington Cavaliers’ burning of Hubba. The third, a replica of the Gokstad which is in the Viking hall of the Maritime Museum in Oslo, Norway, is destined to be part of a floating museum on a former gravel pit in Surrey. She is being built by the Appledore firm of Messrs Hinks and Son who already have the Nonsuch and Golden Hinde to their credit.

Westward Ho! Pebble Ridge should not be used for the dumping of household refuse, the North Devon Torridge highways sub-committee have agreed. They decided that the area site investigation team for North Devon should be asked to seek other suitable sites in the area, and to recommend the Planning and Transportation Committee to pursue urgently, in conjunction with the South Western Electricity Board, the possibility of using part of the capacity of Yelland power station for the incineration of refuse. Meanwhile, they said, the general principle of refuse disposal by controlled tipping should be continued.

If a child was to fall into the cess pit at Tank Field, Westward Ho! the local authority would be indefensible in law, solicitor Mr Jeremy Ferguson warned a meeting of Northam Chamber of Commerce. In the interest of the local authority it should be adequately fenced, he said.

Oct 1974 Westward Ho Tank Field cesspit

There had been far less vandalism at Westward Ho! this year than ever before, Mr R H K evers told Northam Town Council.

Oct 1974 Westward Ho vandalism

Two members of Westward Surf Club reached the final of the British Junior Surfing championships. Tadezy Drogomviecka, of Lundy View, Northam, did exceptionally well to finish in second place. Stephen Turner of Beach Road, Westward Ho! the current senior champion of the Westward Surf Club, was placed fourth. Another club member, Mike Day, of Gammaton Road, Bideford, was narrowly beaten in a tough semi-final.

Conditional planning approval has been granted to Three Counties Properties Ltd to extend the Moorhead Hotel, Woolsery, and to erect 12 chalets, a swimming pool, bar, sauna, changing rooms, staff accommodation block and a sewage treatment works.

Woolsery Parish Council’s request to Torridge District Council for a bus shelter at Bucks Cross will be considered when the proposed estimates of expenditure for next year come through.

A Sankey evening led by the Bideford Salvation Army held in the Parish Church, Woolsery, raised funds for the church bell restoration fund.

October 1999

A vacancy at Kenwith Castle Nursing and Residential Home, Abbotsham.

Oct 1999 Abbotsham Kenwith Castle

Abbotsham corner property for sale. It comprises two former cottages which makes for surprisingly spacious accommodation.

Oct 1999 Abbotsham corner property for sale

Charming double fronted detached character cottage on outskirts of Abbotsham for sale.

Oct 1999 Abbotsham property for sale

Appledore traders have been given a new voice with the formation of an Appledore Traders Association. Its chairman Chris Ommaney said “It is hoped the association will act as a pressure group to remind the district council and others that Appledore is an entity on its own.” A first full meeting takes place at the Seagate Hotel with an open invitation for any local tradesperson to attend.

Saved for the people of Appledore, the Blue Lights community hall was officially reopened following refurbishment. Given to the people of Appledore 40 years ago by the Anderson family the hall was left in trust with the local council. But without money, its upkeep became increasingly difficult and three years ago came a call for it to be sold. A committee of local people rallied to its aid to raise £7,500 for refurbishment, including a new kitchen. Pub landlord of the Royal George, Barry Lewis, presented £500, the final funds needed.

Oct 1999 Appledore Blue Lights
Picture shows Mrs Blackmore receiving the cheque from Mr Lewis, watched by Mrs Jones and other committee members and supporters

North Devon expertise will help visitors to reach the Millennium Dome on the banks of the River Thames. Under construction at Appledore Shipbuilders are seven ‘millennium barges’ which are being built for London River Services, part of London Transport.

Oct 1999 Appledore Shipbuilders Millennium Dome barges

One of North Devon’s finest and most popular 20th century painters James Paterson is represented in the Annual Autumn Watercolour Exhibition of J Collins and Son of Bideford. He is well remembered by many people, not least students of Bideford School of Art where he was principal for three decades. His notable success in stained glass include a window for a monastery and for one at Churston Ferrers parish church – commissioned from him by Agatha Christie. He will be best remembered locally for his watercolours of Bideford. His one of Bideford Bridge Looking West is dated 1971.

Oct 1999 Bideford James Paterson stained glass painter

Bideford Liberal Club, 24 High Street - entertainment.

Oct 1999 Bideford Liberal Club

Blacksmiths Arms, Bideford, advertises the John Morgan Band.

Oct 1999 Bideford Blacksmiths Arms

Bideford property for sale.

Oct 1999 Bideford property for sale

Ford Rise, Bideford – properties for sale.

Oct 1999 Bideford Ford Rise properties for sale

Ford House, Bideford, was once a fine Regency village. The Grade II listed building is offered for sale prior to auction. The property is set in some 20 acres of ground including woodland, and planning permission exists on the land for 96 holiday accommodation units.

Oct 1999 Bideford Ford House

Food fit for a Gladiator has won a team of North Devon youngsters a £250 prize in a national contest to create a menu of nutritious, yet tasty meals. The pupils from Edgehill College in Bideford – Natalie Roe, Sophie Perks, Brigitte Gebhardt and Melanie Thomlin – are seen with Gladiators Rhine and Falcon, and teacher Barrie Whitehead. “They created a fictitious brand called Gladiator Foods which presented healthy versions of popular meals like lasagne, fruit and ice cream, with some eye-catching packaging designs,” said an official.

Oct 1999 Bideford Edgehill Gladiators food challenge

Property for sale at Bucks Mills.

Oct 1999 Bucks Mills property

A tasty meal of British pork with roast potatoes and two veg, apple sauce and stuffing, plus gateau to follow, was a welcome delivery to the Fremington home of Ernest Blight. But it was nothing unusual, for Ernest receives hot meals on his doorstep every day of the week thanks to the Meals on Wheels Service. He gladly posed to help promote National Meals on Wheels Day, which highlights the 365-days a year service which provides for more than 150,000 elderly in Devon. The meals are prepared and delivered on behalf of Devon Social Services providing a nutritious two-course lunch for just £1.60.

Oct 1999 Fremington Blight meals on wheels

Antiques and bric-a-brac will go under the hammer in aid of North Devon’s own cancer charity at The Commodore Hotel at Instow. The event will raise funds for the chemotherapy unit at the district hospital which is being extended and developed with the help of the Cancer Care Centre Trust. “You don’t have to be a big spender to come along and get bargains” said fund chairman Jennifer Bonetta. All the items have been given to the trust to sell in its Westward Ho! shop or in other fundraising ways.

Two Torridge schoolgirls have just been awarded the top GCSE grades they deserved after their school asked for their summer examination results to be reassessed. Grenville College students Claire Lenihan of Westward Ho! and Rebecca Pennington from Littleham have both had their English Literature passes upgraded to the highest A-plus level.

Oct 1999 star pupils

Property near Monkleigh for sale.

Oct 1999 Monkleigh property for sale

Millennium windows in Northam Methodist Church will be dedicated by the Rev William Morrey, chairman of the Methodist South Wales District. The service will also mark the restoration of the foundation stone of the church in Cross Street which was laid in 1878.

Step back in time 350 years, for only £1! That is the offer at the Civil War Heritage Centre at Torrington which recreates the days of the Civil War.

Oct 1999 Torrington Civil War

Building on the past has brought new hope for the future in Torrington as the town’s ancient pannier market once again bustled with activity. Following a £670,000 refurbishment under the town’s Genesis regeneration programme the market was reopened for business and once again promises to take a place at the hub of local life. Its glass-roofed mall provides home for a dozen shops and workshops, plus a café and a large market hall from which local traders can operate up to 30 stalls. Other facets of the project include the Torrington 1646 Great War heritage centre and Thomas Fowler IT Centre at Castle Hill which both opened earlier this year.

Oct 1999 Torrington pannier market

A gazebo where Sir Joshua Reynolds is said to have painted some of his watercolours has found a new home at the RHS Rosemoor Garden at Torrington. Built in 1752, it had stood in the grounds of Palmer House, Torrington, and was badly damaged by storms. Now it has been restored to its former glory and a place of honour in the south arboretum at Rosemoor, overlooking Torrington and the Torridge valley.

Oct 1999 Torrington Rosemoor gazebo

Ryan Lees, from Weare Giffard, plants the first bulb in the Torrington Commons millennium bulb project. He is watched by his mother, Tracy, and Commons Conservators Colin Porter and Brian Davies, Thousands of bulbs have been acquired for the project and local people have been invited to help with the planting. Next year, hosts of daffodils, snowdrops, and other bulbs will be bursting into flower to welcome the first spring of the millennium.

Oct 1999 Torrington Weare Giffard Millennium bulb planting Commons

Property at Woolsery for sale.

Oct 1999 Woolsery property for sale

Login Form