Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

Bideford District logo AL1

May 1923

Births – at Rohilla, Chapter’s Road, Bideford, to Mr and Mrs F C Backway, a daughter; Mr and Mrs Charles Hart, a son; at San Francisco, the wife of George Pickard, a son, formerly of 5 Kingsley Street, Bideford; to Mr and Mrs G Herniman, 6 Furzbeam Terrace, a son; at Barnstaple Street, Bideford, to Capt. and Mrs J F Evely, a son; at 38 elm Grove, to Mr and Mrs A Pickard, twin daughters; to Mr and Mrs L F Short, of Bridgeland Street, a son; at Wharton, Northam, to Mr and Mrs Ernest Tucker (nee Dorothy Salter), a daughter;

Deaths – at 21 Pitt Lane, Grace, the beloved wife of William Slade; Archibald Ernest Major, Madras Lt Cavalry (retired), son of the late A F and the Hon. Gertrude Arbuthnot; Wilhelmina Fegan, late of Brentwood, Bideford; at 22 Meddon Street, Florence Grace, daughter of Mr Sidney Charles Trick; at 28 Meddon Street, William Jewell Bishop; at 7 Milton Place, Richard Couch; at Locksley House, Northam, John Lock;

Sunday trains, North Devon revival, but still isolated from rest of country.

May 1923 North Devon rail revival

Halwill-Torrington Railway – must be some end to expense.

May 1923 Torrington Halwill Railway

A fatal accident occurred on the Light Railway near Torrington, when through the derailment of a truck in which some men were returning from their work to Torrington, Charles Boundy was killed. William Nethercott, of Monkleigh, received injuries and was detained in Torrington Hospital, where he is making good progress, while Charles Glover, of Northam, received minor injuries but was able to proceed to his home.

A big surprise offensive was launched by the police forces within the confines of the County of Devonshire, the objective being to ensure that all motorists are kept up to the mark in respect to both driving and car licenses. Every maid road in the County was embraced in the comprehensive police net, and many of the by-roads also.

Little points to remember about calling cards.

May 1923 Calling cards

HM Inspector, Mr J J Draper, recently visited the day school at Abbotsham and spent a very pleasant day with the teachers and children. When leaving he expressed his pleasure with the work and tone of the school, The following report, which though short, is highly satisfactory: “This little school is in competent hands, and the children’s work is creditable. The Infants are particularly well trained and taught, and their attainments reach a high level.”

The Girls Friendly Society Van, under the charge of Miss Way, visits Appledore.

May 1923 Appledore Girls Friendly Van

William Dymond of Plain Street, Alverdiscott, has his hand shattered. Was it a Mills bomb?

May 1923 Alverdiscott William Dymond Mills bomb

A jumble sale was held at the Downes, by kind permission of Mr D R Cameron, in aid of the church funds, resulting in the realisation of the satisfactory total of £26. Many thanks are due to the energetic stallholders, Mrs Cameron, Mrs Boyd, Mrs OakRhind, Mrs Southcombe, and the other helpers.

On the receipt of a complaint from the Parish Council of Alwington as to the unprotected state of a quarry, it was decided to fix hurdles should be well thorned as they would for colts. That would keep the children out.

Mr John James Hallett, 35 Market Street, Appledore, is removed to Bideford Hospital after sustaining injuries in a fall over the edge of the Quay.

May 1923 Appledore Hallett accident

At a meeting of the Bideford and Torridge District Sunday School Union, the following resolution was passed and forwarded to the Prime Minister and Lord Chancellor: “In the opinion of this Committee the placing of a tax on betting is highly undesirable.” Here at the Archive we found this rather surprising – can anyone clarify the decision?

Much coverage this month is given to the forthcoming Devon County Show, which is back in Bideford after 16 years. It is to be held from 29 – 31 May on the Hartland road, about one mile out of town. The grandstand which will be 420 feet long is nearing completion and the horse ring measuring 340 feet by 220 feet is already laid out. All show traffic coming from the direction of the Railway Station and the Quay will proceed by way of New Road, Torridge Hill and Meddon Street, returning by way of Old Town and High Street. The Mayor, H Willett Huxham, asks townspeople to display bunting as they did on the show’s previous visit in 1907. A full preview of the show can be found on page 8 of the Gazette for 29 May and under the presidency of Earl Fortescue, it should be a successful three day run.

The Royal Mail, Bridge Street, Bideford, is for sale by public auction.

May 1923 Bideford Royal Mail for sale

The Strand Factory, Bideford, recently occupied by Frederick Cooper and Co., collar manufacturers, together with a six-roomed cottage and garage with loft, was sold at auction to Messrs Robert Blackmore and Sons, auctioneers, houseagents, etc. for £2,200. Strand House, adjoining let at £36 per annum, tenant paying outgoings was knocked down to the tenant, Dr Ellis Pearson, at £700.

The Bideford Swimming Club has its opening dip.

May 1923 Bideford Swimming Club

Delivery by Whitsun of a new Guy Char-A-Bang from Walter J Pitt, Bideford Motor Works.

May 1923 Bideford Walter J Pitt Charabang

As the Kingsley Statue on the bank of the river Torridge is reportedly in danger through subsidence, Bideford Council has instructed the surveyor to take weekly levels and report when necessary. It’s still standing today, so whatever action they took did the trick!

This millinery advert from Mrs W H Short, 50 Mill Street, Bideford, caught our eye:

May 1923 Bideford Short Milliner Hats

Another interesting advert, particularly the offer regarding Mourning clothes from T Woodyatt, 42 High Street, Bideford

May 1923 Bideford Woodyatt Mourning clothes

The deaths of Mr Bert Mitchell and Mrs Dayman, both of Bradworthy, are announced.

May 1923 Bradworthy deaths

Waterland Farm, at Bradworthy is for sale.

May 1923 Bradworthy Waterland for sale

As a result of the annual children’s flower service held in St Nectan’s, Hartland, two large boxes of flowers were despatched to St Albans’s East Ham, where they are giving much joy to the poor and sick of that densely populated parish.

Accommodation lands at Hartland are for sale – including Teaky Park and Furse Park Lane. Purchasers included Mr Richard Walter, Mr T K Pillman, Mr William Pomeroy and Mr Rattenbury.

May 1923 Hartland land for sale

May 1923 Hartland land sold

John T Mugford, East Street, Hartland, sues John Beer and is awarded judgement.

May 1923 Hartland Mugford Beer legal

PC C Crooke, stationed at Hatherleigh has removed to Hartland. He has been replaced at Hatherleigh by PC Hutchings of Bideford.

Mrs Mary Jane Jeffery has passed away after years of suffering. Her husband died thirty eight years ago, and their eldest son, Frederick, was killed in France. The bearers were Messrs T Beer, T A Bond, J K and T J Jeffery, G L Littlejohn, M E Prust.

In Hartland, Mrs Kay gave a lecture on her 25 years’ experience as a missionary in China. An attractive dialogue composed by Mrs Kay was given by local ladies in Chinese costumes.

There was a large and fashionable congregation at the pretty little parish church of St John, Instow, when the marriage was solemnised of Major Thomas Buckley Timmins, TD, of 24 Green Park, Bath, and Miss Gladys Gwendoline Morgan (daughter of Lady Morgan, 7 Bath Terrace, Instow, and who is greatly respected and esteemed in North Devon, and the late sir Morgan Morgan, Mayor of Cardiff in 1887). The wedding breakfast was served at the Rifle Hall, Instow, which had been decorated in a very pleasing manner.

May 1923 Instow wedding Timmins Morgan

Charged at Barnstaple with cycling without a light at 9.30pm at Instow, Thomas Cooke, a young man, pleaded “Not guilty to riding on my bike, but guilty to having one foot on my pedal and the other occasionally touching the ground.” “I think that is a guilty” remarked the Chairman, Alderman A J Reavell.

May 1923 Instow Thomas Cooke bicycle

Instow Road Collision – Mr Frederick Heale, motor hackney carriage proprietor of Bideford is awarded damages.

May 1923 Instow Bideford Heale damages

Langtree - At a meeting of the School Managers, a letter was read from Miss Pratt, infant mistress, stating that she is now willing to accept the cut in salary asked for, and requesting the managers withdraw the notice terminating her appointment. The Managers unanimously decided to accede to Miss Pratt’s request.

Littleham Rectory – Garden Fete and a sale of work.

May 1923 Littleham Sale of Work Rectory

Mr James Ball, of Specot, Barton, Merton, who passed away at the age of 80 years, had been ill for some time, but hopes had been entertained for his recovery almost to the last. Going to Specot Barton some 24 years ago he soon became interested in the then Bible Christian cause at Merton, and it was largely through his efforts and substantial help that the beautiful new edifice that meets the view of the traveller journeying along the main road came into being.

The Cottage at Monkleigh is for sale.

At St Margaret’s Church, Northam, the marriage was solemnised between Louise (Lolo), the youngest daughter of Mr William H Parson, The Orchard, Orchard Hill, and Mr Horace R Haines, of Ingleham, Ely, Cardiff. The Vicar, the Rev G G Payne Cook, RD, MA, officiated at the ceremony. The bride was beautifully gowned in a dress of silver brocade with pearl spray ornament at waist. She also wore a long veil of tulle, trimmed with silver and white heather, with a coronet of orange blossoms, and carried a sheaf of lillies and white heather. The bride’s train was carried by two young attendants, Miss Ina Haines and Miss Muriel Morris, Milverton, Bideford. The duties of best man were ably carried out by Mr W Delahaye Gill of Penarth.

May 1923 Northam wedding Haines Parsons

On the recommendation of the Committee, the Chairman of Northam Council has been requested to call a public meeting to consider the question of the provision of a Public Hall.

Buy the new G.N. 9-5 h.p. from F N Blackall & Co, The Square, Northam.

May 1923 Northam Blackall garage

In Parkham, a large proportion of field potatoes have been planted and the sowing of corn is well in hand. Although Melbury has always been a poor sheep farm, the new class of stock introduced by Mr Forster has withstood the winter well and the lambing season appears to have been successful. 

Mrs P M Warfield of Hoops Inn, Parkham, has been granted an occasional licence for Shebberton Races on Whit Monday, between 12 noon and 6pm. Luncheons and teas will also be provided.

Torrington - Presentation to Mr Frank Roberts Boatfield, manager of the local Branch of Messrs Fox Fowler and Co’s Bank.

May 1923 Torrington Boatfield presentation

Mr John Leslie Rowe, of Torrington, has been appointed registrar of marriages in the place of the late Mr Tanton.

The funeral of Mr Edward Watkins took place at Torrington. Upwards of 200 of the general public were there.

May 1923 Torrington Edward Watkins funeral

The grass of Town Park comprising 24½ acres, offered for sale by Public Auction by Messrs Slee and Son, realised £140. The purchasers of the three lots were Messrs H Watkins, T Passmore, and J Martin.

Residents of Weare Giffard are buried – Mrs Florence Martin and Mrs Elizabeth Banbrook, with Rev Moyses officiating at both funerals.

May 1923 Weare Gifford funerals Banbrook and Martin

May 1923 Weare Giffard Banbrook funeral

At the Easter Vestry in Welcombe, Mr F Ward was re-elected as Vicar’s Warden and Mr C Wakeley as People’s Warden.

Much local interest was evinced in the wedding at Westleigh Wesleyan Chapel of Mr Walter Yeo, of Instow, and Miss Kathleen Dallyn, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs F Dallyn, of Tray Hill Farm, Westleigh. The ceremony was performed by Rev A W Bunnett of Bideford.

May 1923 Westleigh Dallyn Yeo wedding

Westward Ho! Art Club is to hold exhibitions. For further details apply to Major T R Morse OBE, honorary secretary and treasurer.

May 1923 Westward Ho Art Club

Café Royal, Westward Ho! opens on May 19th and is under the same management as the Royal Hotel, Bideford.

May 1923 Westward Ho Cafe Royal

Mr and Mrs William Friend, of Park Place, Winkleigh, celebrated their golden wedding when they received many congratulations from their friends. They formerly lived for many years at Lower Ingley Farm, Winkleigh. They were married at the Baptist Church, Hatherleigh, in 1873.

May 1973

The first longbow tournament in Devon, in which traditional English longbows were used, was staged by Kenwith Castle Archers in Bideford. It is hoped to make it an annual event. The tournament was coupled with the Devon and Cornwall Archery Society shoot for the Ancient Manadon Bowl and the Silver Quiver, this time using modern bows. Lady paramount was Mrs June Hutchings who presented prizes to Dorothea Baker, Dorothy Sadler, Eric Slade, (Kenwith), Arthur Badger (Kenwith), Roy Webber, Doreen Slade (Kenwith), Janet Smith, Barbara Sidebottom, Ken Bellingham, A Lee, Barry Lingley, Tony Pulman, Mrs Sims and Mr McClure.

May 1973 Abbotsham Kenwith Castle archers

A record £180 was raised for Alwington church funds by a sale in the village hall. It was opened by the Rector, Rev T Nicholls. Stallholders were: Mesdames E C Pine-Coffin, A Metherell, P Cooke, N Westaway, W Turner, Mrs L Elston, Misses A Lott, M Daniel, Mesdames C Metherell, A Glover, K Poole, C Huxtable, R Smythe, P Taylor, T Nicholls, H Ramm, V Westlake, B Parr, G Lewis, H Hillman, G Boundy, L Smith, H Williams, W Allin, F Adams.

May 1973 Alwington church fair

The Seagate Hotel, Appledore, announces the opening of its new restaurant.

May 1973 Appledore Seagate Restaurant

Properties for sale in Appledore - the home of the Golden Hinde.

May 1973 Appledore Mews properties Golden Hinde

The listed building Odun House, Odun Road, Appledore, is for sale.

May 1973 Appledore Odun House

A firm decision on whether or not there will be a salmon boat race between Lundy and Appledore this summer has still to be made. Mr and Mrs E Bignell of the Port Quarter, Appledore, have already offered to provide a trophy if the event does take place. “Making definite arrangements is difficult because of the dependence on the weather for such a race,” said Mr Bignell.

Both the coxswain of Appledore lifeboat, Mr Desmond Cox, and his deputy, Mr Richard Cann, are having to make do with party telephone lines in their homes. And that, says Mr Peter Mills, MP for the Torrington division, could cause delay with possible loss of life. He has therefore made representations to the area telephone manager in Taunton that exclusive lines should be installed. Mr Mills has also pointed out that apart from possible delay, confidential matters are frequently passed between the secretary of the Appledore branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and the coxswain. The secretary, Mr Ivor Wickersham, has also stressed the

May 1973 Appledore telephone lines RNLI

Manor Court: A chapter closes in proud style.

May 1973 Manor Court

Octogenarian Mr Charles Morris, of Bideford, a member of the local fire-fighting service from 1910-46, shares photo memories with some of the men who served with him at Bideford fire station. Some were with him during his years as chief officer of the Bideford, Northam and district joint fire brigade, and some in the Auxiliary Fire Service (later merged as the National Fire Service) in wartime. The group were photographed at the annual dinner of the North Devon fire service old comrades’ association.

May 1973 Bideford Charles Morris fire service

Old Girls of Stella Maris School, Bideford, met again, some of them after a 20 year break, when they attended the school’s third reunion dinner at Tanton’s Hotel. More than 70 Old Girls from as far afield as Kent and Luton were present. Guest speaker was Sister Dominic. Mrs Valerie Adams said the newly-issued school magazine had proved a success and it was hoped to publish annually. A presentation was made to Sister Honoria who is retiring this year. Officers elected were: Mrs J McIntosh, Mrs V Adams, Mrs J Baron. In the picture Sister Dominic is being welcomed by the secretary, Mrs Valerie Adams. In the foreground are Sisters Patricia, Hilary and Eunan.

May 1973 Bideford Stella Maris reunion

One of Mr James Needs’ last acts as Mayor of Bideford was to present a telephone trolley to Bideford and District Hospital. An appeal launched by him met a ready response from town and district. Seen in the picture are Matron, Mrs J E Robertson, Mr Needs, Mr I H Hewetson, the first to use the acquisition, patient Mrs M C Fripp, the Mayor and Mayoress of Torrington, Mr and Mrs Harold Pollard, and Mr J Morris, hospital secretary.

May 1973 Bideford Hospital

The finals of the North Devon road safety quiz for schools produced keen competition, especially in the junior section where seven points covered the leading five teams. This section was won by Bideford Church Junior School. It was a particularly satisfying win for Mr F C Smyth who trained the winners, for he is not only a master at the school but is secretary of Bideford Road Safety Committee. The team and reserves with their coach: Sarah Felgate, Jill Blackmore, Julie Somerville, Fiona Mackelden, Roger Warren and Sally Branch.

May 1973 Bideford road safety team

In a year in which Bideford Rugby Club have set up a new record in points-scoring, six players achieved personal totals of 100 or more. Top of the scoring chart was Richard Evans, only 24 less than Mike Grigg. The club’s try-scoring champion was Steve Evans, brother of Richard, and all-rounder Bert Smale scored 110 points. Other ‘ton up boys’ were wingers Pete Reveley and Mike Tucker. Apart from these six leading point scorers were Chris Jeffery, Keith Moses, Mike Corrick, Ed George, Geoff Giddy and Grenville Heal.

May 1973 Bideford Rugby 1

May 1973 Bideford Rugby 2

A blaze that caused more than £1000 damage on a Bradworthy farm has been investigated by the police. They are now satisfied it was an accident. Three weeks earlier considerable damage was done by fire on a neighbouring farm. Machinery, including a tractor, 20 tons of hay and a ton of straw were lost at West Stowford Farm, which belongs to Mr and Mrs Stanley may. Three calves and a quantity of fertiliser were saved by Mr Arthur Blight, of the neighbouring farm, Stowford,, who discovered the fire and by Mr Colin Manning. Firemen from Holsworthy, Hartland and Bude fought the outbreak.

Tower House, Buckland Brewer, is for sale.

May 1973 Buckland Brewer Tower House

Clovelly donkey Alexander has been having time off from normal duties to star in a film being made on location by a London-based company. After a fortnight at Trebarwith Strand, Cornwall, the unit moved into Clovelly to continue work on ‘Malachi’s Cove’ which deals with a girl’s friendship with a donkey. Alexander is here seen with ‘Bay’, the daughter of his owner, Mrs R Creighton-Balfour, of Clovelly.

May 1973 Clovelly Alexander donkey Malachi

Subject to certain conditions, Torrington Rural Council have approved plans for a hotel annexe at the Royal Oak, Dolton. A revised application has to be made for 16 units only, and the extension will have to be in character with the existing development of Dolton. Plans to convert a farm building to a restaurant and dance hall at Hollamoor, Frithelstock, have been rejected on the grounds that the development would result in increased traffic entering and leaving a class 1 road, with consequent risk of additional danger to, and interference with, the free flow of traffic.

Mr Ernest George Jeffery, whose death has occurred at the age of 72 at his home, Collacott Farm, Fremington, has farmed in that parish for many years. The funeral took place at Fremington Methodist church and was followed by interment at the churchyard at St Peter’s, Fremington. The service was conducted jointly by the Rev P W Hearn, Methodist minister, and the Vicar of Fremington, Rev P Pearson. Mr W Tucker was the organist.

May 1973 Fremington Jeffery death

Mrs G Walter who had lived in Hartland for 43 years, returned to declare open the lighter side of the festivities when Bude circuit Methodist rally was held at Hartland. Flowers were presented by Tracey Thorne. Following a service conducted by Rev W Bethel, tea and various competitions were enjoyed and stalls did a good business. Following tea Mrs Ursula Slee showed slides in the schoolroom and community hymn singing was led by the Rev G Beadon. Organist was Mrs Beswetherick. Mr G Lott presided over an evening meeting and various items were contributed by societies of the circuit. The day ended with a supper at which a collection raised £24.

May 1973 Hartland Methodist Rally

Awards presented at Hartland Air Training Corps annual dinner and dance were to T Winchcombe, B Shute, R Osborne, K Jeffery, B Shute, R Shute, G Squires, R Ball, R Osborne. Promotions – A Cook to Corporal and J Mugford to Flight Sergeant; marksman badge, R Moody and R Ball; cup for best shot, D Cornish.

The donkey gives up and Mrs May O’Donnell returns on foot.

May 1973 Hartland donkey

A former war-time evacuee to Hartland has proposed that a plaque should be placed in Hartland parish church in tribute to the way the people of the district opened their homes to evacuees during the blitzes on London, Bristol and elsewhere, from 1940 onwards. The suggestion comes from Mr Gerald M Smith, of 34 Cheriton Place, Henleaze, Bristol who was an evacuee with Mr and Mrs S Jefferies, who now live in a bungalow in Back Lane.

May 1973 Hartland evacuee

Lundy’s own journal, the Illustrated Lundy News, goes from strength to strength in its features, illustrations and general coverage of events of interest to all who fall under the spell of the island. Steeped in history,

May 1973 Lundy newsletter

Tenants of Northam Urban Council will not, after all, be able to buy the houses they occupy. The council, in secret session, adopted a recommendation of a sub-committee of the housing committee, that they reconsider their policy. The council was told that there was an ever growing need for houses and therefore it would be wrong to sell.

Winners of the junior road safety quiz contest at Northam were a team from St Margaret’s School. This success was a repeat of that last year. Seen with Mr Peter Hall, chairman of Northam road safety committee, are Stefan Miller, Ian Mansfield, Simon Worley and Elizabeth Ruddock. All are aged 11.

May 1973 Northam Road safety

By cutting with scissors 63lb of grass in an hour Parkham young people repelled a determined effort by their counterparts in Buckland Brewer to wrest from them the Slee trophy. Grass cutters were Philip and Barry Edwards, Rodney Glover, Howard Hancock, Michael Slee, Stephen Metherell, Michael Davies, Graham Babb, Martin Hockin, Jeffery Cole, Philip Blight and Lyn Dziurzynska.

May 1973 Parkham grass cutting

Jobs at Unigate Foods Ltd, Torrington.

May 1973 Torrington Unigate jobs

After hearing of Woolsery Parish Council’s ‘grave concern’ at the proposed future development of the village, Bideford Rural Council decided to slow the development down.

May 1973 Woolsery property

May 1998

Appledore Shipbuilders Limited need you.

May 1998 Appledore Shipbuilders jobs

Festival’s Euro cash and Appledore Village gets ready for arts spectacular.

May 1998 Appledore Festival

Bideford’s number has come up on the National Lottery, unlocking nearly £300,000 in grant aid which will enable the town council to complete its refurbishment of the Victorian pannier market. Delighted council members learned on Tuesday that the Lottery Heritage Fund is to contribute £190,000 and that another £104,000 will be forthcoming from the Government Office South West. This will enable the long awaited refurbishment of the market’s Butcher’s Row aisle and shops to go ahead. It is the last major piece in a jigsaw aimed at revitalising the rundown market area of the town. Amid local fears that the ancient market would be sold off to a commercial operator the town council took over the building seven years ago and in 1993 undertook the re-roofing and refurbishment of the main market hall at a cost approaching £200,000.

May 1998 Bideford Pannier Market

When pupils at Westcroft School in Bideford invited a special guest to talk to them about India, they got a cricket lesson too. The visitor was Shome Kapoor from Calcutta who is Bideford Cricket Club’s overseas player this season. He went to speak to Class 51 whose teacher Janet Bizeray has planned a project on India as part of the national curriculum.

May 1998 Bideford Westcroft Cricket

The latest Safeway store, which opens in Bideford on Monday June 15, has created 130 new jobs. A further 170 staff will transfer across from the old store on the adjoining site in Kingsley Road, which stops trading on June 14. The new store will be managed by Colin Rudlof, who has more than 14 years’ experience with Safeway, and staff have been recruited through the local Job Centre and have been given full training with the help of a new human resources manager, John Adendorff. The new store has a sales area of 28,700 square feet and a car park with 400 spaces, some reserved for the disabled and parents with babies. There are 18 checkouts, all extra wide to allow easy access for wheelchairs and children’s double buggies.

More than 50 years of service to her local community comes to an end this week with the retirement of Bideford sub-postmistress Jean Hannaford. Generations of schoolchildren have bought their sweets over the counter, workmen have called for their papers and senior citizens for their pensions at “Miss Hannaford’s” Barnstaple Street sub-Post Office. Unique for its still-used gas light, the shop with its tiny counter was converted from the living room of a roadside cottage and has become part of the fabric of Shamwickshire – the community on the eastern riverbank of Bideford. Miss Hannaford, 73, arrived there in 1941 when her father was appointed postmaster. As he also had to do wartime police duties the Edgehill College schoolgirl was needed to help her mother in the shop. On her father’s retirement in 1962 Miss Hannaford took over the business herself and has continued to run it ever since – for the past 30 years helped by assistant Beryl Blight. Working in the post office she had made many friends and would miss the contact with the public, she said. Miss Hannaford will be a special guest at the civic occasion of Bideford’s annual mayoral election ceremony. Although she will no longer be at her familiar place behind the counter Miss Hannaford will continue to live in Barnstaple Street and the post office will live on there too. The business is being taken on by another familiar East-the-Water face, Graham Beer, who ran a corner shop for many years.

May 1998 Bideford Hannaford

More than half-a-century of dedicated service on a Torridge farm – including 14 years of unpaid work – is being recognised with the presentation of a long service award at the Devon County Show. It goes to 70-year-old George Lewis, who first began to helping out at Thornwidger Farm, Buckland Brewer, when he was just eight years’ old. When he left school at 16 George went to work full time at the 155-acre cattle and sheep farm and clocked up 40 years’ service before ill health forced him to retire at the age of 56. But the call of the farm was too much and with his doctor’s blessing George returned in a voluntary capacity for another 14 years. The association only ended when his long-time employer, Thomas Gilbert, died earlier this year. George will travel to the county showground with his wife, Joan, to receive a specially engraved glass tankard and certificate from the Devon County Agricultural Association. Also being honoured for his long service is 56-year-old Michael Toze, who has been employed by the Fortescue Estate for 40 years. He is now the head gardener at Castle Hill, Filleigh.

Thornwidger at Buckland Brewer is sold in five lots.

May 1998 Buckland Brewer Thornwidger

Ten years after withdrawing its lifeboat from Clovelly, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution is back. The RNLI has restored its link with the fishing village with delivery of a modern inflatable rescue craft, to write a new chapter in a proud tradition stretching back nearly 130 years. It is an acknowledgement of changing times around the coast and the success of the village’s independent lifeboat service during the intervening years. In 1988, the 70-ft. ocean going lifeboat stationed at Clovelly to cover the Bristol Channel was removed during an update of the RNLI fleet. This was a painful decision for a village with a lifeboat tradition stretching back to 1869. The fiercely independent community steadfastly maintained the need for a rescue vessel along its dangerous coastline and within 18 months raised £60,000 to buy its own inshore rescue boat. Over the past eight years the small rigid-hulled inflatable Pride of Clovelly manned by an all-local crew has assisted more than 80 people. Onshore, mammoth fund-raising efforts have provided the £17,500 a year needed to keep her afloat. Having proved the success of the vessel in the area Clovelly has now been provided with a bigger and faster version under the official auspices of the RNLI. This, too, will be manned by local people, with a squad of 11 trained volunteers providing the crews of three. The Atlantic 21 from the RNLI reserve fleet is backed up with a special tractor/bulldozer and purpose-built trailer to help launch her and to keep the harbour launch area clear from drifting stones and pebbles. Clovelly’s lifeboat house is also being enlarged as part of a RNLI commitment estimated at some £380,000. The new service will be on trial for the next 12 months. But already there are hopes of a long-term future and the provision of an even newer, state-of-the-art, insure rescue boat. “We are hoping that when the extension to the lifeboat house is complete Clovelly can use the money remaining in its lifeboat fund to help finance provision of the latest Atlantic 75 inflatable to take us into the next millennium,” said Clovelly lifeboat spokesman Dan Garnett. Clovelly lifeboat secretary Dick Needham said the return of the RNLI and all the resulting support was “absolutely magic.”

May 1998 Clovelly lifeboat

Instow’s former railway signal box will be back in action for a day this weekend as part of celebrations to mark its 125th anniversary. Restored by the Bideford and Instow Railway Group the redundant box became the first in the UK to be Grade II listed and now has a reinstated signal and even a short length of re-laid track. On Sunday group members will be operating the box for a 12-hour working shift based on a timetable from 1964. It will send and receive codes from imaginary signal boxes at Fremington and Bideford as it would have done in the days when trains were still passing through. Members of the public are also invited to pull the levers and send bell codes. During the evening the box will be illuminated with oil lamps and its rejuvenated coal stove will be back in operation to keep the “signalmen” warm. Pieces of a special birthday cake and signal box mugs will be on sale to help raise funds to maintain it. Also launched on the day will be an illustrated history of the Instow box.

Young newshounds from Hartland have themselves made headlines with success in a nationwide schools newspaper competition. Hartland Primary School newspaper Primetime has gained third place in the Daily Telegraph School Newspaper Awards 11 years and under category.

Did you buy a Wimpey Homes property in Chapel View, Landkey?

May 1998 Landkey Chapel View

A cottage in Church Lane, Langtree, is for sale.

May 1998 Langtree Church Lane for sale

Queen of the May and star of Northam’s annual spring celebrations this year is Samantha Heap. She is pictured with her prince James Dennis and princess Jodie Hamilton.

May 1998 Northam May Queen Samantha Heep

A two-bedroomed top floor apartment in Chapel House, Northam, is for sale.

May 1998 Northam Chapel House

Torrington Silver Band marched in triumph into a new home which will be the envy of band members throughout the West Country. The band took up residence in its new bandroom at the former Howe Congregational Church. Torrington Silver Band is also celebrating the recent arrival as musical director of Lt Col James Ross, former principal director of music for the Army, who ran Kneller Hall music school prior to his retirement.

May 1998 Torrington Silver Band

Plans are being made to raise awareness of a remarkable but little acclaimed Torrington man whose calculating machine of 160 years ago was a forerunner of modern computing. Through a £2,000 research project Great Torrington and District Community Development Trust is hoping to learn more about and highlight the inventions of Thomas Fowler. It is hoped the research will either find the plans for Fowler’s calculating machine or sufficient description of the mathematical processes to enable its re-creation. If successful, it could impact upon every history book on computing worldwide, Torridge District Council has been told. Fowler, born in Torrington in 1777 established himself as a printer and bookmaker and becomes sole manager and partner of the town’s only bank. Results of the survey will be displayed at Castle Hill in Torrington in association with the Fowler Centre, a telematics facility being developed as part of the town’s Genesis Project.

A Guide to Devon Dialect by John Downes from Woolsery (or Woolfardisworthy).

May 1998 Woolsery John Downes

 

Login Form