Capt. And Mrs F J Gayette, of Appledore
Celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary on Monday were Captain and Mrs Frederick J Gayette, of 15 Myrtle Street, Appledore.
Capt Gayette, who was actively associated with the sea for nearly 60 years, is 82. His wife is a year younger. They were married at Lavington Congregational Church, Bideford, on May 25th 1904, by the Rev George Warren.
During the 1914-18 war Capt Gayette was on one of the first merchant ships sunk. He was a member of the crew of the s.s. Maywood sunk by enemy action in the English Channel off Southampton three days after war broke out in August 1914.
Capt Gayette held command principally in ships owned by Messrs John Fisher and Son, of Barrow-in-Furness, with whom he stayed 15 years. Previously he had been in command of the first ever ship built by Messrs Robert Cocks and Son, of Appledore, whom he served for 10 years.
In 1946 Capt Gayette’s ‘zeal and whole-hearted devotion to duty’ was recognised by the award of the British Empire Medal (Military).
Mrs Gayette was born in the house where she now lives. She is the only daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Andrew Pennington. Her uncle, a Capt Swindale, who trained as a chemist with Messrs Hogg emigrated to Australia and Capt and Mrs Gayette’s children still keep in touch with his descendants.
Capt and Mrs Gayette have two sons and two daughters. They are Mr Fred Gayette and Mr Ivor Gayette, and Mrs Linda Marshall and Mrs Annie Brennan. Their two sons-in-law are both Master Mariners and one, Capt Pat Brennan, is Bideford Harbour Master. There are nine grandchildren and five greatgrandchildren.
The full Gazette article is dated 29 May 1964
