Maternity home during WW2
The existence of Bideford’s only maternity home may be threatened if the South Western Regional Hospital Board go ahead with plans to end the arrangement whereby National Health Service patients are admitted to it.
The Board, who have invited comments on their proposal before February 5th, point out that the agreement with the Grenville Nursing Home Ltd was entered into by Devon County Council in 1946 and was taken over by the Board two years later. Under it general practitioners in Bideford have the use of 10 beds at the home for obstetrics. Use of the home, say the Board, has greatly diminished since the opening of the new maternity unit in Barnstaple and on average only three beds have been occupied at any one time.
The few patients delivered in the Grenville home, the Board add, could be accommodated at Barnstaple at substantially lower cost and in a modern building.
Originally Bideford General Hospital, the Grenville became a maternity home during World War II.
The managing director, Mr F Meadows, is in Spain and unavailable for comment.
At the home, which is overbooked in February and March, no official intimation has been received.
Gazette article dated 12 January 1973