The Duke and Duchess of Kent, who have been holidaying in North Devon near Putsborough, have made a private visit to Lundy Island.
They spent six hours on the island before returning to the North Devon mainland.
It was the first Royal visit to Lundy since the Queen Mother went there in May 1958 and the first visit by the Duke and Duchess. Lundy Puffin, owned by Appledore Shipbuilders Ltd, was used to take the Duke and Duchess, who were accompanied by their children, George and Helen, from Ilfracombe to Lundy and back.
Others in the party included Mr Jack Hayward, who gave the island to the National Trust, and Mrs Hayward, and Mr Jeremy Thorpe, the Liberal Party leader and MP for North Devon, who had with him his young son Rupert.
Mr John Starke, manager of the Durrant House Hotel, Northam, accompanied the party with his head waiter, Pepe Alvarez, and champagne and canapes were served before the Lundy Puffin, skippered by Mr Fred Hutchings, of Bideford, left Ilfracombe. On the island the party had lunch consisting of Lundy lobsters at Millcombe House before touring the island and meeting the residents. Tea was served on board.
The full Gazette article is dated 18 August 1972