Down at the ‘Donkey House’

Donkey painted on wall 

How the outline of a donkey had been painted on the wall of premises at Bank End, Bideford, overlooking the river was recalled at Bideford Manor Court. The original donkey had been painted in tar by fisherman who at that time had tarred their nets near the building before storing them for the winter. The photograph shows the old donkey painted in tar and the building became known as the ‘donkey house.

13 April 1951 Down at the donkey house

Following the re-erection of the building during the first world war, there was such an outcry for the donkey that a donkey cut in the stone had been placed over the doorway looking in the Appledore direction and still could be seen there.

Gazette article 13 April 1951

 

 

 

Login Form