Royal Prince visits Torridge-side

Playing field opened

Scenes of tremendous enthusiasm welcomed HRH The Duke of Edinburgh on his visit to Bideford to open the King George’s Field extension to the Victoria Park. The Duke arrived in Bideford at noon and the great cheer of greeting at the borough boundary ceremony was repeated as, accompanied by the Mayor (Cllr. Mrs E.M. Cox) he came through the town.

31 October 1952 Royal prince visits Torridge side

The Duke and the Mayor each planted a tree at the conclusion of the opening ceremony and after a brief inspection of the playing field and plan, the Duke left by car for Tanton’s Hotel for a lunch and then left by car for Plymouth, travelling via Torrington (photograph).

Gazette article 31 October 1952

 

Login Form