Re-opening of Northam Methodist Church
So large was the attendance that forms had to be placed in the aisles to accommodate the congregation at the re-opening of Northam Methodist Church following extensive renovation. Eighty-six year old Mrs Ethel Griffey, one of the church’s oldest members, performed the opening ceremony. Mrs Griffey, who has been a member of the church ever since attending the Sunday School there as a young girl, recalled how in 1878, when the building was first opened, her mother and the mother of Miss J. Shutt, had scrubbed out the building.
The re-dedication was conducted by the Minister, the Rev. Dr W.H. Mildon and the Scriptures were read by the Rev. E.C. Elliott, a former minister of the church. The Rev. T.J. Smith, Superintendent Minister of Bideford Methodist Church congratulated the church on the completion of the renovation scheme.
L to R in photograph above: the Revs. E.C. Elliott and T.J. Smith, Mrs Ethel Griffey, Mrs L. Ford (daughter of Mrs Griffey) and the Rev. W.H. Mildon.
Gazette article dated 13 June 1969