Miss Florence L Lake accepts Council’s unanimous invitation.
For the first time in its history Torrington will have a woman as Mayor when Miss Florence L Lake, of Windyridge, Furzebeam Terrace, Torrington, the only woman ever to have been elected to the Borough Council, takes office in May.
Announcement that Miss Lake had accepted the invitation of the Council to succeed Cllr J H Long, Mayor for the past two years, was made at Monday night’s Council meeting. Miss Lake’s energies in the political field earned her the honour of being elected President of the South West Area Liberal National Council in earlier days and the leading part she played locally in the merging of the National Liberal and Conservative causes has been recognised by her election as Dame President of the Torrington Division United Liberal and Conservative Association.
Second daughter of the late Mr and Mrs W Lake, of Beam Farm, Torrington, Miss Lake has an intimate knowledge of the town in which she has spent all her life and a great many of its inhabitants can speak at first hand of her kindliness and readiness to help. A sympathetic interest characterised her work as a member, and later as Vice-Chairman, of the Bideford-Torrington Guardians Committee, as a member of which she followed in the steps of her late father with whom she was a frequent visitor at the Torrington Institution. Care for the young has also claimed her interest and she was a member of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children Committee. During the war and after she was local hon. Secretary of the Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Airmen’s Families Association.
Miss Lake will have a younger sister, Mrs B Howard, Penlea, Queen’s Terrace, New Street, Torrington, as Mayoress during her year of office. Through another sister, Mrs F J Webber, West House, New Street, Torrington, the Mayor and Mayoress elect have a link with the Mayoralty for Mrs Webber’s father-in-law, Mr Silvanus Webber, was Mayor of Torrington in 1893, 1913 and 1914.
The full Gazette article is dated 7 April 1955.