200 passengers give the Halwill line a closure in style 5th March 1965
About 200 people filled the last public passenger train from Torrington on the Torrington-Halwill line, and there can be few, if any, occasions when more passengers have been carried since its opening as a full scale line in 1925.
Passengers included members of Plymouth, Exeter and Launceston Railway societies and a contingent of 32 boys from the Transport Society of Grenville College, Bideford, led by Mr D Whittington and Mr B D Hughes.
The school party were armed with cameras, cine camera and a tape recorder and Edward Harrison, son of the Vicar of Torrington (Rev P Harrison), a pupil of the school had brought a not-too-unkind caricature of Dr Beeching, which found its way into the farewell display.
Mr Jack A Parkhouse, has frequently driven on the route. Stationmaster Mr L Somerfield lifted his arm, there were a few muffled cheers and the diesel train, proudly filled, disappeared round the bend to the bridge over the Torridge, en route to Halwill Junction for the last time.