Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

On Tuesday evening the Rev S Weaver was instituted and inducted as Rector of Instow, in the presence of the Bishop of Exeter (Dr C E Curzon), many robed clergy from neighbouring parishes, and a large congregation.

21 February 1939 Reverend S Weaver

The new rector comes to Instow from Milton near Gravesend, Kent, where he was Vicar of Holy Trinity Church. The parish embraced the headquarters of London river for Trinity House pilots and he is keenly interested in the sea and sailors which is a happy omen for his new incumbency which is also closely associated with the sea. The institution was performed by the Bishop and the induction by the Dean Rural (Rev H P F Scott of Atherington) in the absence of Preb Hay (Archdeacon of Barnstaple). Other robed clergy attending included the Rev Preb. F M Wallington, Revs J C Mitchell, J H Phillips, F W Bodger (Westleigh), A E Wynne, P D Scott, H F Burrows (Fremington), C E Purves, H Sharples, G Rogers, Dimond-Hogg, W D Phillips and H Somers-Cocks (formerly of Instow). On behalf of the patron, Mr John Christie of Tapley Park, who was unavoidably absent being abroad, the living was presented to the new rector by Lieut-Col D A Bullock, who with Mr Bruce Smallcorn accompanied the procession of clergy and the visits to the various parts of the Church in the course of the induction. Following the ceremony the visiting clergy were entertained in the Vestry Room on the invitation of the Parochial Church Council. Last evening, at the kind invitation of the patron, parishioners were invited to Tapley Park to meet the Rev and Mrs S Weaver.

21 February 1939 Reverend Weaver of Instow

Login Form