Births announced – to Geraldine and David Jones of Elmslea, Appledore, a son, Simon Gerald David, a brother for Michelle; Jean and David Potter, a daughter, Ruth, a sister for Anne, Keith and Ian; Julie and Brian Stevens, a daughter Zoe, a sister for Mark; Jean and Bryan Vanstone, a daughter, Caryn Frances; Pamela and John Biggs, a daughter, Judity Ione; Joyce and John Gouldstone, a son, brother for Penelope, Erica, Annabelle and Laura; Susan and Roy Quance, a son, Richard; Phyllida and John Youngman, a daughter, Rebecca; Jean and Bob Bellew, a daughter, Jane Katherine, sister for Mary, Sally and Anne; Margaret and Derek Bidgway, a son, Christopher Neal, brother for Nicholas; Eileen and Jim Hallett, a daughter, June Elizabeth; Ida and Richard Jones, a son, Martyn Steven, first grandchild for Mr and Mrs H Crocker and Mr and Mrs R Jone; Barbara and Tony, a son, Paul Ian; Marie-Jean and George Robinson, a son, Andrew; Rosemary and Dennis, a daughter, Louise Ann; Evelyn and Frank, a son, John Richard, brother for Frankie and Stephen; Sheila and John Tucker, a son, Nicholas John, brother for Mandy; Mary and Ian Bennett, a daughter, Amanda Jane. First grandchild to Mr and Mrs Bennett of Eastleigh Village; Sheila and David Morris, a son, Richard Stanley;
Inkspots A, champions of division III of Bideford and District Skittles League took their second title when they beat Young Liberals in the final of the President’s Cup at Bideford Conservative Club. The teams included: Frank Hopper, Ray Dymond, Wally Davies, Brian Cole, Bob Clarke, Harry Jarvis; Tony Clements, Nick Gorvett, Graham Ley, John Odell, Steve Schiller, Ken Walters, D Copp and Jimmy Jewell.
Two Torridgeside outbreaks of fire within four days were made all the more hazardous because of the very strong winds. Most disastrous of the fires was that on Sunday morning when two families were forced to leave their wrecked thatched cottage homes at Petrockstow. At the other outbreak, a two-storey barn at West Hele, Buckland Brewer, was badly damaged. Homeless as a result of the outbreak at Petrockstow, which was noticed in the thatch, were Mr and Mrs Norman Prouse, whose first wedding anniversary it was, and Mr and Mrs Charles Bastow, who are both over eighty. Mr Prouse’s cottage is owned by Mr Sam Luxton, of Hele Barton, and Mr Bastow’s by the Clinton Estate. On their arrival firemen from Torrington, Hatherleigh and Holsworthy found the thatch blazing furiously. Because the gale-force wind was carrying sparks and embers and menacing other thatched cottages in the village, one fire appliance was ordered to spray these thatches with water. Meanwhile villagers stoutly rallied around. After seeing to the safety of the old couple, their pet canary and the Prouse’s six-week-old baby, they tackled the job of salvaging the contents.
The owner of the Kenwith Castle Country Club, Abbotsham, Mr Leon Moore, a former chairman of Northam Urban Council, is leaving North Devon soon to take up an appointment with ICI.
Mr Ernest Cork, of South View, Appledore, may consider suing Northam Urban Council as he gets flooded by sewage.
Being built by Appledore Shipbuides Ltd for the Seaborne Aggregate Co of Sussex, the sand and gravel dredger Pen-Avon has a ram bow which will provide greater propulson efficiency in certain conditions. This is the first time a vessel of this class has been fitted with a ram bow in this country. Her keel was laid last November and she was floated out of dry dock where, because of her size, she was constructed. Trials will begin in early June.
That elusive title at last! Flo’s Boys have won the Bideford open fours darts competition. Seven times, since the event was started they have reached.
The funeral took place at St Mary’s Church, Appledore, of Mrs Caroline Guegan, wife of Mr Frank Guegan. The Vicar, Rev R C Dixon, officiated with Mrs Parks accompanying the hymns. Immediate mourners were; Mr T Guegan, Mesdames E Morin and T Ketchion, Mr and Mrs E Richards, Mesdames T and W Guegan; Messrs M Guegan and J Morin; Mesdames L Linstead, J Van der Vleit and Fisk; Mesdames W Miles and L Banks. Unable to attend were: Messrs E Morin, T Ketchion, Edward, Roland, Carol, Susan, Campbell, Joyce and Kathryn.
Mr George Cornish, 63 Lime Grove, Bideford, whose death at the age of 76 worked for many years in the building trade at Northam, retiring 11 years ago. The funeral service took place at North Road Assembly Hall, Mr W Nethercott officiating. Interment followed at the Higher Cemetery. Immediate mourners included the widow; Mr Ronald Cornish; Mr and Mrs T Day; Mrs M Shute and Nell; Mr and Mrs Barsley; Mr and Mrs B Pring; Mr and Mrs J Parkin; Mr David Pring; Mr Colin Pring; and Mr and Mrs A Pitman. Unavoidably absent were Mrs R Cornish and Miss Jayne Cornish.
It will cost a total of £600 to remedy matters at Copp’s Close old people’s dwellings, where the domestic hot water pipe runs through the food storage cupboards. Of this sum £542 5s will cover the purchase and installation of 18 three-and-a-half cubic feet refrigerators. The rest will be spent on removal and alteration to the cupboards.
After the failure of the Grammar School and County Secondary Schools joint venture for building a swimming pool, it was decided to carry on with a modified scheme for a swimming pool of their own. The total cost for this scheme was estimated to in the region of £1,500. At the moment a platform is being prepared in the girls’ playground by a group of boys – P Williams, D Johns, C Dunn, D Copp, M Henwood, R Sherbourne and S Branch are enjoying the work.
The first two traffic wardens to be allocated to Bideford began work. They are Mr George Taylor, of Raleigh, Bideford, a former police sergeant, and Mr John Walker, of Clovelly Road, Bideford. The wardens are appointed by the Chief Constable and are controlled by the local police. Traffic is their sole concern, but they can do no more than report offenders. Their arrival was a surprise to the town, there having been no hint that they were to begin duties.
Two three-year-old Himalayan bears named Jeremy and Jeremiah arrived at their new home at Bideford. They will become one of the features of a new zoo opened at Whitsun in the grounds of Ford House off the Torrington road.
No 37 Mill Street, Bideford, for sale.
If plans for secondary reorganisation throughout North Devon are implemented, Bideford will have a comprehensive school to be built on the site of the existing grammar school.
Mr Ivor Davies, of 41 Mill Street, Bideford, has relinquished the wholesale Sunday newspaper agency for Bideford district, which he has held since 1952, and it has been taken over by Mr Len Walters, of 45 Mill Street. The changeover marks the end of a family connection with such business dating back almost 70 years. In 1897 the late Mr Jack Elliott, of the Swan Inn, Mill Street, established and rapidly developed the wholesale newspaper agency for the Bideford district, and held if for over 40 years. In 1941 he disposed of his daily newspaper agency but retained the Sunday agency for another 11 years when it was taken over by a son-in-law, Mr Ivor Davies, who has been in business as a men’s outfitter in Mill Street about 30 years.
Bideford’s celebrated 600 year old Long Bridge is wilting under the strain of modern traffic. Unless major repair and reinforcing work - £12,000 is a figure reported – is undertaken the bridge will be unable to cope with the vibration of continuous traffic and heavy vehicles and will have to be limited to light traffic only. Widening of the bridge roadway is deemed impossible without major construction on the lines of that carried out on Barnstaple bridge.
Mr Dennis Dymond of Park Avenue, well-known businessman, had an encounter with a lion – and has the scars to prove it. Fortunately they are on his car. With his wife and youngest daughter he travelled to Longleat where the Marquis of Bath has established a nature reserve. As they were driving through, the biggest of the lions jumped on to the boot lid of the stationary car with his front paws.
Clovelly street lighting: bid to spread cost.
The funeral took place at Clovelly Parish Church of Mr John Thomas Harris, who died at his home, 36 The Village, at the age of 91. Mr Harris was the oldest man in the village. Formerly a merchant seaman, he was born at Bucks Mills and moved to Clovelly about 60 years ago. The Rector, Rev R O H Eppingstone, officiated assisted by the Rev D K Martin with Mr Storey accompanying the hymns. Immediate mourners were: Miss L Slee, Mrs J Wilks, Messrs G and M Lamey. Bearers were Messrs W Braund, J J Headon, J Foley, J Prince, T Cruse and A Lamey.
Detective Sergeant Henry Charles Clement, of the Metropolitan Police, who as a boy was evacuated to Clovelly, is one of a number of officers recently commended by the Commissioner. He was born in London but came to Clovelly as an evacuee in 1940. His foster-parents were the late Mr and Mrs William Beer, who for many years worked Crosslands Farm at Higher Clovelly. Henry Clement attended the school at Wrinkleberry and, on leaving, first worked on the farm. At 17, with the encouragement of his former headmaster, Mr R K Hesketh, he joined the Army. He joined the Metropolitan Police in 1955.
One of Clovelly’s world famous donkeys, Peggy, led the traditional Palm Sunday procession by the congregation at Clovelly Parish Church. Peggy, one of three donkeys belonging to the New Inn and believed to be about 30 years old, came to Clovelly 18 years ago. She is named after Mrs Lamey, now the wife of the landlord, Mr Alf Lamey. In the summer Peggy shares with her stable companions Kiwi and Coronation the carrying of visitors’ luggage and bringing down hotel supplies.
Within 18 months six couples living in the small parish of Frithelstock have celebrated, or will celebrate, their golden weddings. Mr and Mrs R Daniel kept their anniversary earlier this month, and Mr and Mrs J Lugg celebrated theirs this week. The other couples are Mr and Mrs C Hearn, Mr and Mrs R Main, Mr and Mrs A Harding and Mr and Mrs M Ashton.
Sir Dennis and Lady Stucley entertained some 150 tenants and employees to supper at Hartland Abbey to celebrate the coming-of-age of their son, Mr Hugh G C B Stucley, who is a lieutenant in the Royal Horse Guards (The Blues). On behalf of tenants and employees of Hartland, Affeton, North Molton and Moreton estates, Mr Tom Allin, who farms Stoke Barton presented Mr Hugh Stucley with a gold watch and bracelet and three cases of vintage port. Hartland Abbey was presented to Mr Hugh Stucley’s family by Henry VIII in 1540 when the monasteries were dissolved at the Reformation.
Hartland has been considered unsuitable for the establishment of a factory – because the sponsors fear workers would quit for summer jobs. Dartington Hall, the Devon arts centre, want to set up an archery factory in North Devon, Bideford Rural Council was told. Woolsery had been suggested, but the sewerage system was inadequate. Hartland had been suggested and various ideas for the conversion of existing premises had been put forward. “But their view is that with a factory anywhere near the coast workers may go off during the summer into the holiday industry,” said Mr Dunn, although he thought that very unlikely at Hartland. The Surveyor, pointing out that the Council was not in a position to handle such inquiries, wondered if possible sites could be bought by the Council and offered for factory development.
Mr Percy Beer, who has just retired after being local agent at Hartland for the Ministry of Labour for the past 30 years, was interviewed in a BBC West Home Service programme. He recalled some of his experiences over the years and his wife, who has acted as his deputy, also spoke. Last week, too, Mr and Mrs Beer were entertained to dinner at the New Inn Hotel, Bideford, by the manager and staff of Bideford Employment Exchange. Mr Beer was presented with a garden chair as a parting gift.
Two glimpses of the highly successful olde tyme music hall concert at Hartland, held in aid of the cancer campaign funds. In the photos are R Mugford, P Jeffery, A Mugford, C Higgins, D Newton, A Higgins, and Roy Stowell.
The Rev F J Lockyer, Vicar of Landkey since 1962, has been appointed Vicar of Hartland in succession to the Rev Andrew Jones. The new Vicar and his family anticipate moving at the end of June. Shortly after qualifying as a teacher Mr Lockyer served with the Sherwood Foresters during the war. After theological training he was ordained in 1953.
Surplus furniture and effects from The Rectory, Instow, are for sale.
Rendle’s Down, Monkleigh, is for sale.
Seen sampling the comfort of the arm chair, with which he was presented on retirement from the South Western Gas Board after over 40 years’ service with the local gas industry is Mr Joseph Archibald (Archie) Smith, of 6 Cross Street, Northam. From his colleagues he also received an engraved gold watch, handed to him by Mr Claude Fulford. Mr Smith was first employed in 1923 by the Westward Ho! Gas and Coke Company as a stoker, and then in the same capacity by the Appledore Gas and Coke Company.
Architect designed bungalows in Richmond Park, Northam, for sale.
Because he felt that trees in his garden were dangerous in gales that were then blowing, the tenant of No. 5 Sea View Road, Northam, has them cut down and sent the bill to Northam Urban Council.
The sea was icy. It was hardly a day for a swim. But high-stepping through the foaming water on Westward Ho! was the figure of a youth. He carried a long surf board and when waist deep he knelt on the board and paddled out over the swells. Then he faced the board to the beach and looked over his shoulder to where the waves were forming. Having selected a suitable wave he began to paddle beachwards. As the sea caught him up he stood on the board and precariously balanced across the wall of water just ahead of the breaking tip. This for Peter Griffey, of Cross Street, Northam, was the ideal way to spend a winter weekend.
Cost of repairing the tower of St James’s Church, Parkham, which was struck by lightning on January 2nd, has been estimated as in the region of £1,500. When the lightning struck fragments of a pinnacle were sent hurtling down as far as the roadway, holes were made in the church roof and electrical apparatus damaged. Negotiations with the insurance office are proceeding, writes the Rector, Rev J E Lynn.
The 55 years that Mr Joseph J Jenkins spent with the Torrington Co-operative Society are believed to create a record for the movement. On retirement he has been succeeded as manager by Mr Percy Allen who has been with the Society for 30 years. Mr Jenkins joined the staff in 1911 and was away between 1914 and 1919 serving overseas with the 6th Devons. On behalf of the Society, Mr Frederick J Bryant presented an electric razor and a suitcase. On behalf of the staff, Mr Allen presented an electric drill and home kit. Mr and Mrs Jenkins live at 22 Calf Street.
King’s Meadow for sale.
People in Torrington had been rather shocked to find that the first bus from the town on Easter Monday – the first Bank Holiday since the railway closed to passenger traffic – did not leave until 1.40pm, which was a Sunday service, Cllr J Bower told Torrington Town Council’s General Purposes Committee. Was it going to be the practice of the bus company to put on a Sunday service on Bank Holidays in future? A bus between 9.30 and 10.30am was wanted.
Torrington Town Council have decided that they are not interested in purchasing, as offered, Palmer House, in New Street, a house on the schedule for preservation as of historic and architectural merit. Instead they are to suggest that the owner consider getting into touch with the National Trust. Cllr Blair Williams said the house had associations with the celebrated painter Sir Joshua Reynolds.
Torrington’s 1966 carnival queen, Miss Tina Cornish with her attendants – Miss Angela Hearn, Miss P Parish, Miss Gwen Pitts, Miss Kay Mitchell, and Carol Raymont. The Carnival is the concluding event of the three days of May Fair.
Torrington agricultural show, established in 1808, will not be held this year. But it is intended to stage it again in 1967.
Photographed during a rehearsal, Torrington May queen and the members of her court. The queen, Lynda Sanders, was chosen by her fellow pupils at the Blue Coat School. With Lynda is her chum and crowner Stephanie Thorne. Both live at Alverdiscott. The member of the court are Pamela Weeks, Deborah Bastie, Barrie Stapleton, Leslie Reed, Janet Jones, Katrina Wheeler, Sally Johns, Jacqueline Oke, Lay Fisher and Angela Trathen.
Mr William John King of 52 Calf Street, Torrington, employed for 45 years as a cutter with the Torrington glove factory of Messrs James Tapscott and Son, has died at Torrington Cottage Hospital at the age of 80. The Rev Alan T Fleetwood officiated at the funeral service and Miss L Norman accompanied the hymns.
Westward Ho! Tennis Club’s bid for young members.
Firemen from Appledore went to the aid of a Northam youth who became stuck on a buttress of rock he climbed at Westward Ho! on Good Friday. From a cliff above, 17 year old Ronald Glover, of 2 Ashfield Terrace, Northam, was lowered from the 20 foot high rock by ropes. A crowd of visitors watched the operation.
Pony racing on Westward Ho! beach last summer made a profit of 11s 8d for the organisers, Northam Chamber of Commerce.
South Bitworthy, Woolsery, is for sale.
Visit East Yelland Power Station.