Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

October 1950

Births include a daughter, Ann Elizabeth, to Joy and Frank Butler; a daughter to Mr and Mrs J W Heard; a daughter, Clarice Mary, for Clarice (nee Ford) and Arthur Gear; Jeannetta (nee Way, wife of B Mortimer, 2 The Strand, had a daughter, Margaret Ann; Beatrice, the wife of Eric J W Mountjoy, had a son, Mervyn; Alice (nee Houghton) and Ronald Copp have a daughter, Linda Margaret; in Sacramento, California, Patricia (nee Wiley) and WO Paul Franz have a son, Stephen Anthony, a brother for Christopher and Diane; a son is born to Margaret (nee Ford) and Alan Heard; a sister for Elise, Caryl Ann, a daughter for Irene (nee Weeks) and Bob in Seattle, Washington; Margaret (nee Reece) and Major P V H Swan, RE, have a daughter, Stella Rosemary, in Taiping, Malaya; and a daughter, Pamela Joy, for Margaret and Harold Scott;

Anniversaries for Harold and Hetty Baker of Hazeldene, West Yelland, nr Instow; Sidney Noel of Orchard Hill, and Laura, of Alwington (Harris-Oke) celebrate their silver wedding; Rosa May Piper and William Braunton of 8 Cowpark Terrace, Northam, celebrate their golden wedding – October 24th 1900; and on October 31st 1925 at St Mary’s Church, Bideford, Charles N Harris to Florence M Jeffery – present address 4 Tower Street, Bideford.

The pleasantly situated freehold country cottage residence, Coombe Gate, Abbotsham, is for sale.

Oct 1950 Abbotsham Coombe Gate for sale

The wedding of Mr Peter C W Redclift, of The Mill, Hartland, to Miss Gladys May Bailey, second daughter of Mr and Mrs A W Bailey, of Woodtown, Fairy Cross, took place at St Andrew’s Church, Alwington. The bridesmaids were Miss Violet Bailey and the Misses Joyce and Barbara Redclift; duties of best man were carried out by Mr C Bridge; and users were Mr W Redclift, Mr G Bailey and Mr W Headon. Wedding presents included a cheque and table linen from the bride’s employers, Mr M F Lee and Miss A E Lee, of Hazelhurst, Bideford, and a pyrex dinner service from the bridegroom’s employers, Mr and Mrs Finch of Hartland.

Oct 1950 Alwington Redclift Bailey wedding Hartland

At St Andrew’s Church, Alwington, the funeral took place of Mrs Ellen Grace Daniel, widow of Mr Reuben Daniel. The service was conducted by Rev G W Colborne and the organist was Mrs P Metherell. Immediate mourners were Mr and Mrs Moyes, Miss C White, Mr and Mrs H Williams, Mr and Mrs T Williams, Col and Mrs Pine-Coffin, Mrs Wickett, Mrs Smith, Mr F Daniel, Mrs R Daniel, Mrs Allen. Bearers were Messrs S H Palmer, G Smaldon, R Daniel and W Allen.

The impression seemed to have got around that it was because there was a lack of interest that Appledore had lost its fire station, said Mr F S Harris, but that was not the case. Referring to the decision by the Fire Service to leave Appledore, Mr Harris said a suitable site could be arranged at Marine Parade.

At Evensong at St Mary’s Church, the Vicar, Rev H C A S Muller, asked the congregation to sing the National Anthem as a mark of respect and homage on the occasion of the christening of Princess Anne and also to mark the 145th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. Mr Muller reminded the congregation that Lord Nelson’s coxswain was an Appledore man, named Cox, two of whose descendants had been coxswains of Appledore lifeboat. A signalman with Lord Nelson was another Appledore man, Daniel Jenkins, who, no doubt, helped to hoist the famous signal.

The wedding took place at St Mary’s Church, Appledore, of Mr Thomas John Adams, 31 Parklands, Totnes, to Miss Pamela Mary Morrish, daughter of Mr and Mrs J O Morrish, 31 New Street, Appledore. The matron of honour was Mrs Pearl Evans and duties of best man were carried out by Mr Eric Firth, RASC. The bride’s mother wore black, in mourning for her father who died recently. After the reception, Mr and Mrs Adams left for Exeter for their honeymoon.

Oct 1950 Appledore Morrish Adams wedding

Allocation of the money collected at the Bideford Carnival was discussed at the Rose of Torridge Café. Mr F H Holmes presided over the meeting. The sum to be divided was £145, and it was shared between Hospital Comforts Fund; Old People’s Home, Westward Ho!; East-the-Water Community Centre; Broomhayes Children’s Home, Westward Ho!; St John Ambulance Brigade; Police Widows and Orphans Benevolent Fund; the Blind; and NSPCC. A further request is made to those people who borrowed macintoshes on the night of the Carnival to return them to Mr T Muxworthy or Mr E J Dicker.

Did you see the Chad Valley Overhead Railway at Gales in Mill Street?

Oct 1950 Bideford Gales

The very desirable freehold farm known as The Barton is for sale.

Oct 1950 Bideford The Barton for sale

Rose Cottage, 12 Montague Place, Clovelly Road, Bideford, is for sale.

Oct 1950 Bideford Rose Cottage Montague

As a fitting climax to the Harvest Festival of the Bethel Church, East-the-Water, on October 2nd, came presentations to two of its most faithful members. The two recipients were Miss Sarah A Barry of 4 Barnstaple Street, and Miss Rosabelle H Embery of 4 Chingswell Street. Miss Embery, who was presented with an electric fire and a cheque to cover the cost of the installation of a power point for it, has served the Chapel as organist for 50 years. Her brother is the Home Director of the China Inland Mission in Australia. Miss Barry, who for 56 years has worked for Bethel in numerous ways, most notably as Sunday School teacher, was presented with a Lloyd loom armchair.

Oct 1950 Bideford Bethel Chapel

Mitchells are winners at the Master Bakers’ Exhibition at Exeter.

Oct 1950 Bideford Mitchells catering

Buy a Motamite from Ron Lake, North Road, Bideford.

Oct 1950 Bideford Ron Lake Motamite

Mr C S F Harding of Pentillie, Abbotsham Road, Bideford, died aged 70. Mr Harding came to Bideford in 1919 as headmaster of the Old Town Boys’ School and, on the Bideford Schools’ reorganisation in 1932, became the headmaster of Geneva Senior School, now the Bideford Modern Secondary School. When he retired in 1941, it was estimated that over 4,000 Bideford children has passed through his supervision during his time at Geneva School. Mr Harding not only engaged in school life but had also joined wholeheartedly in other spheres of public life. He was a Past Master of Lodge of Benevolence, No 489, Bideford, of freemasons and held the rank of P.P.J.G.D.

Oct 1950 Bideford Mr Harding Geneva School

Leading Steward Norman Taylor, of Cardiff, and his bride, Miss Barbara Whitaker, of Bideford, photographed following their recent wedding at St Mary’s Church, Bideford.

Oct 1950 Bideford Whitaker Taylor wedding

Did you try Greek dancing with Ann Cornford?

Oct 1950 Bideford Greek dancing

The wedding took place at October 4th at the Parish Church, Buckland Brewer, of Miss Ursula Mary Coles, third daughter of Mr and Mrs J Coles, of Milford, and Mr Walter Francis Jollow, son of Mr and Mrs Jollow, of Thornbury. Rev T R Gibby of Langtree officiated in the absence of Rev L Woolcott. Miss W Blight was at the organ.

The thanksgiving services began on Friday at St Anne’s Church, with the Rev E B Bridger, Vicar of Northam, preaching at Evensong. The Church had been beautifully decorated by Mesdames Mallett, Godwin, Dark and Prouse, Miss Snape and Mrs Waring. The service was conducted by the Vicar, Rev L C Mallett with Mr R Fisher at the organ. The supper was provided at the Parish Hall, when a good company sat down to partake of gifts sent by friends and parishioners. The Parish Hall has been thoroughly cleaned by the following who also prepared the tea; Mesdames Mallett, Pennington, Dark, Waring and the Misses Snape and Hetty Dark, and the Vicar.

It was with great regret that Bucks Mills learnt that Mrs Sanders of the Mills, had gone to live with her relatives at Bideford. She was one of the best Churchfolk, was a regular attendant at Church and always gave liberally to any cause. She will be greatly missed. During the first world war she lost both her sons.

Coxswain G Lamey and his gallant crew took the Clovelly lifeboat out in the Bay for the Quarterly exercise and everything was found to be in perfect working order. On Saturday the boat was again launched for the Ace Film Company who are making a film of lifeboats around the coasts of England and Ireland. They required a film of the Clovelly boat as it is the ‘Liverpool’ type. Capt W R Bate, hon secretary of the local branch RNLI, received permission from the headquarters of the Institution for this to be done. Shots were taken from the Quay head of the launch and then the operators with all their filming paraphernalia were shipped aboard and taken to the rough waters of Hartland Race where more shots were taken from the boat, for’ard and aft.

No J.P. for Clovelly.

The general outline appears to the same today as then, but as there is no artist’s name attached or date, one can only assume part of the layout had been altered by the artist to make a balanced picture. For instance, the level at the pier end appears to be lower than that at the Lime Kiln entrance, whereas memory over the past sixty years is that it is nearly dead level. Besides, the boatbuilder’s shop and the Sandhouse are shown as dwelling houses; but the most notable point is the wooden handrail going up the street, whereas we know it has always been a stone wall.

Oct 1950 Clovelly picture

Need for the local authority to provide lavatory accommodation at the bottom of Clovelly village for the convenience of the hundreds of visitors who flocked down there in the summer was emphasised by the chairman of Bideford County Bench, Lieut-Col J C Bassett. Mr M W V Richards was making application to the court for the transfer of the licence of the Red Lion Hotel, Clovelly, from Mr Sidney Henry Gulliver to Mr Reginald Clarence Fry. The lavatory accommodation at the hotel was quite adequate for the purposes of the licence, but the point was that in the summer hundreds of visitors made use of that accommodation. If the local authority could take some action it would not only help the hotel but would be of considerable advantage to visitors. The Magistrates approved the transfer.

Clovelly lifeboat was called on October 12th to go to the aid of a small steam launch. When the lifeboat call came it coincided with a break of two and a half hours in the local electricity supply. This meant that the winch for hauling the lifeboat could not be used and she was launched by hand. Men and women from the village, and visitors, assisted: it was the first time the new 35 foot lifeboat had been launched by hand. The photograph taken by Mr T J Brooksbank, of Stanwell Hotel, Westward Ho!, shows the launching – baulks of timber were placed at intervals to ease the passage of the lifeboat over the pebbles.

Oct 1950 Clovelly lifeboat

Before Bideford Borough magistrates, Charles Hugh Nevill Young, of Hartland Quay Hotel, Hartland, pleaded ‘not guilty’ to causing obstruction with a car in High Street, Bideford on August 29th.

Oct 1950 Hartland Young fine

Mr Stanley William Johns, younger son of Mr and Mrs Walter Johns, of Sowden Cottage, to Miss Ada Colwill, youngest daughter of the late Mr H and Mrs Colwill, of Exmansworthy Farm, Hartland, were married at St Nectan’s Church, Stoke, Hartland. Their future home will be at the Bungalow, Burford, Woolsery.

The Torridge Group of Young Farmers’ Clubs will hold its annual ploughing match will take place at the farms of Warmleigh and Govin in Hartland by kind permission of Messrs Heard and Dauncey.

Oct 1950 Young Farmers Ploughing match Hartland

The most desirable freehold property known as and being 2 Lyndale Terrace at Instow is for sale, as well as furniture and furnishings.

Oct 1950 Instow 2 Lyndale Terrace

The funeral took place at Langtree Parish Church of Mr Frank Mills, of The Village, Langtree. He had resided in the Village for a number of years and was well known and respected. The Rector, Rev T R Gibby, assisted by Rev E Jones, conducted the funeral service and the organist was Mr R Baker. Immediate mourners were the widow, Reg, Francis, Austin and Gerald, sons; Mrs A Mills, Mr F Mills, Mr and Mrs G Lock, Mr L Mills, Miss D Mills, Mrs T Mills, Mr and Mrs R Furse, Mrs D Trout, Mr and Mrs B Furse, Mr C Lock, Mr and Mrs Wilkie, Mr G Furse, Mr C Walters, Mr J Walters and Mr and Mrs C Stevens.

Oct 1950 Langtree Mr Mills funeral

Littleham ‘bus question again. It was disquieting that criticism had tended to be destructive and where they might have expected some help, they had not always had it, said Mr J C Hilton, at the meeting of Bideford Rural District Council when the long-standing question of providing a ‘bus service between Littleham and Bideford was again raised. “We who live in the country and have the interests of the country at heart, realise how increasingly important it is to have good water supplies, electricity and ‘bus services, etc. I hope we shall continue to press and not give in until we have secured a service.” Earlier the Clerk, Mr C T Braddick, had reported that the Finance and General Purposes Committee had considered further correspondence and the suggestion that a passing bay and corner improvement was also necessary on one proposed route.

Oct 1950 Littleham bus service

By instructions received from Mr A S Moore, The Bungalow, Chircombe Lane, Northam, is for sale.

Oct 1950 Northam The Bungalow for sale

With great pride, 74 years old Mrs R M Braunton, of Northam, exhibited an iced cake which she had made. This was no ordinary cake but a very special one indeed, as it was for the celebration of her Golden wedding anniversary. On it was a spray of the orange blossom which she wore at her wedding. Mr and Mrs William Braunton of 8 Cowpark Terrace, have lived at Northam since their marriage. Their wedding took place at Frome, Somerset, on October 24th 1900 from the house of her brother, with the Vicar of Cloford officiating. Mr and Mrs Braunton have one daughter, Mrs J Elson, of Tower Street, and they have two grandchildren.

Oct 1950 Northam Braunton golden wedding

Mr and Mrs Martin, of Reeds Cottage, Roborough, celebrate their Diamond Wedding.

Oct 1950 Roborough Martin Diamond Wedding Reeds Cottage

‘Milk Special’ from Torrington after train became derailed.

Oct 1950 Torrington Train derailed milk

Torrington firm, Torridge Vale Dairies (Devon) Ltd, is to pay £900 in damages after Col John Trelawney Upton, of Pollards Hill, complained of pollution of the River Torridge.

Oct 1950 Torrington Torridge Dairies legal action

Normally the passing of a landmark is to be regretted but there are no regrets at the demolition of the ruin of Sydney House, Torrington. Described as ‘an eyesore’ it stood as a tragic reminder of the fire which in 1941 gutted the main premises, then used as a County Council open-air school for delicate children, five of whom lost their lives in the outbreak. Certain premises on the site are being converted into flats and the Town Council will be further considering the use of the remainder of the site. These photographs, kindly loaned by Mr G B Williams, of 33 South Street, Torrington, show part of the ruined premises and the demolition in progress.

Oct 1950 Torrington Sydney House

Oct 1950 Torrington Sydney House1

In the presence of a large congregation, which included the Mayor, Mr R M Boyer, and members of the Corporation and other public bodies, the Archdeadon of Barnstaple at Torrington Parish Church dedicated a new war memorial commemorating the sacrifice of those from Torrington who gave their lives in the two world wars. Capt. G F Stevens-Guille, president of the Torrington branch of the Royal Naval Association, read the lesson. Wreaths were laid on the memorial and a number of personal tributes were later placed at the foot of the memorial.

The wedding of Mr Thomas Hill, second son of Mr and Mrs W J Hill, of Petherton, Venton Drive, Westward Ho! to Miss Ellen Joan Newcombe, only daughter of Mr and Mrs W Newcombe, of 14 Louise Terrace, Torrington, took place in Torrington Baptist Church on Tuesday September 19th. The bride was attended by two bridesmaids – Miss Phyllis Moore and Miss Ellen Hill. The best man was Mr William Hill, elder brother of the bridegroom. The reception was held at the Church Hall with catering by Mr Own of High Bickington. Mr and Mrs Hill motored to Torquay for their honeymoon.

Oct 1950 Torrington Newcombe Hill wedding

Torrington WI celebrated its 21st birthday with a 20lb cake at a birthday party in the Liberal Club room. Mrs T Nancekievill opened proceedings by reading a telegram of congratulations from the Little Torrington WI, and messages from Mrs Wilcox and Mrs Holwill senr., the oldest members of the Institute, and by sending notes of welcome to founder members of the Institute, some of whom were present, and a telegram to Mrs O’Flaherty, the first President.

Antique and other furniture and Furnishings from Buckleigh House, Westward Ho! are for sale by auction on the instructions from the Executors of the late R J Leakey, Esq.

Oct 1950 Westward Ho Buckleigh House contents

Joe Loss and his Orchestra will be playing at the Westward Ho! Holiday Centre ballroom, supported by Frank Fuge and his Moorland Links Hotel Orchestra.

Oct 1950 Westward Ho Joe Loss Orchestra

For sale by public auction – furniture and effects from Sunnyside, Cranford, Woolsery.

Oct 1950 Woolsery Sunnyside for sale

Login Form