Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

 The wedding took place at St Mary’s Church, Bideford, on February 4th,

17.2.1942 Popham Paddon

of Corpl W G Popham, second son of Mr and Mrs G H Popham, 9 Marine Parade, Appledore, and Miss Alice Mary Paddon, only daughter of Mr and Mrs R Paddon, 20 Chingswell Street, Bideford.

The ceremony was conducted by the Rector of Bideford, the Rev Preb. W N Manning. Mr R Harper was the organist. Miss A James was the chief bridesmaid and there were two small attendants. Sergt C J Popham, RAOC, brother of the bridegroom, carried out the duties of the best man.

A reception was held at Morrison’s Café, Bridgeland Street, Bideford, where some 80 guests were entertained. Later, Mr and Mrs Popham left for Torquay for the honeymoon.

The full Gazette article is dated 17 February 1942.

Login Form