Featured ArticlesA Selection of Articles From the Archive That We Thought Most Newsworthy

Only woman licensee in the district, Mrs Sarah Powe, landlord of the Bell Inn, New Quay, Appledore, is retiring.

7.3.1958 Appledore Mrs Powe

It was 48 years ago that Mrs Powe, then a girl of 16, came to the Bell Inn when her father, the late Mr H W Lesslie, became landlord.
As she stood behind the bar this week, Mrs Powe, who has held the licence of the house for the past nine years, talked of the old days at the Bell, days when the pub was full of sailors off the vessels trading into Appledore or from ships that had come to the nearby shipyards for repair. Beer was 2d a pint in those days; a penny would buy five cigarettes and 3½d a bottle of stout or a nip of whiskey.
As she goes into retirement to live in Meeting Street, Appledore, Mrs Powe takes with her memories grave and gay from a lifetime spent at the Bell. One regular will not be forgotten. He was Billy, the swan, who used to come waddling from the river up the slipway opposite the Bell to peck on the door of the pub each morning for his breakfast and then every night would return to the slipway and flap a good-night message with his wings before he went off to roost. For three months Billy never missed his daily visit to the Bell but then off he went and he has only come back once since.
Mr and Mrs Powe have two daughters, one of whom is married and lives in Exeter, and the other, Miss Ruby Powe who has helped her mother run the house in recent years.
Gazette article dated 7 March 1958

Login Form